Danner GTX boots, drying fast/slow?

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by Stukagum, Sep 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody here using Danner boots?

What is your experience drying them under field conditions? I am thinking of buying an insulated pair mainly for autumn/winter use, it will definitely be a full leather boot, Recon (= Acadian) or Fort Lewis, and I see there is no version without GTX. Around here it will be wet most of the cold season, with very occasional snow, so even when avoiding outright WET footwear, every boot will have to deal with inside moisture/dampness at some point.

So far, I prefer non-GTX for those conditions. Is Danner any different? Or same old GTX problem, long time drying when damp/wet?

Overall build quality may be commented as well. The price of these beauties is hefty, but they actually look quite basic. In a Hanwag or similar makes, the whole construction and materials looks the price already, so what makes the Danners worth the money, presuming they are?

2. I use the Striker GTX II* for work, however i certainly 'would'nt' use them for field work conditions and stick to issued boots for that anyway.

Danner build quality IMO is faultless, and of course priced accordingly and lets not forget buying cheap for your feet is a worthless excercise which has been debated many times on Arrse.

*Nice and lightweight but not ideal for the field.

3. I had a pair of stalking boots similar to the jackals the most comfortable boots I ever wore not very waterproof but dried out well. Just wore out too quickly due to the soft stalking sole

4. Danner olympics, champion boots for fieldwork
    never let me down (although was a long time ago)

5. I bought a pair of Danners when they were "alley" way back when. I thought they'd be great for Brecon and the other boggy areas we love so much. Half way through a certain course in the Brecons i threw them away and reverted to cardboard issue boots and some Altama jungle boots. Lightweight boots dry fast or at least become comfy with a pair of dry socks; Danners and other heavy gortex boots just become a sodden liability - they remain soggy even after a few days in the drying room...

6. I wore a pair of gtx danner's on an ex at garlic head in jockland and the got wet very wet and I almost went down with immersion foot. my danners are good as long as the inside stays dry

7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

I've had a pair of Danner Acadia's for about 8 years. They're warm, very comfortable and great for tabbing but getting them wet inside is an issue. I bought some boot drying widgets which partly resolve the problem but basically, if you're wearing then in the field when its wet, you need good gaiters. The other issue with them is that if you don't change your socks pretty regularly, your feet stink and start to get waterlogged... so you need good wool-based socks too.

However, at my advanced age, I'm less likely to flogging around in waist deep mud these days, so I'll certainly buy a new pair when these ones bite the dust.

8. Bought Danners in 2005, they're still going strong. Resoled every 18 months. Dry no quicker or slower than other GTX boots so it's just personal choice. I have always been careful to wear gaiters with them (and even -shock horror- GTX trousers at times) which has kept the insides completely dry, even when wading through rivers. Build quality is flawless. My proboots that I wore previously split after a few years. Danners have been going for seven and are still good. Have now stopped using them as 7 years of polish have built up and they no longer let any sweat out; plus have gone back to issue boots because I don't actually have a problem with them and they're free!

9. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

Get yourself down to a good (note: 'good') high-street shoe repair bloke and have him stick the boots on his buffer rollers to take the polish back to the leather. Had one do it for me - it does work.