Dannatt Speaks Out Again: "Britain almost out of troops"

#4
#6
Well said Sir Richard

An Officer who still lives and breaths the Military Covenant
 
#9
I'm afraid with Gordon Brown even the good General nor God will not be listened to, I'm afraid this country is going to go through a very long dark tunnel with this man, what we have seen with Bambi will be nothing compared to what this porridge Git will do, and do you know New Labour will win the next election because the Tories are gradually digging one big fakinc hole for themselves' anything you have he will want, your money your house your life, he will give it away to others who are more needy than you or I(according to him) and you can guarantee that the recipients will not be in this country, personally I'm facink worried. :(
 
#10
ill agree with that pinkrat this nanny state of bliarswhere everything of yours is theirs is getting worse i see dark days ahead
 
#11
so does this meen that the TA will be used and abused even more?? what with MTD cutbacks how can the TA remain operationally effective.

I have said this before and i will say it again, bring back national service (i know they wont, they cant afford it due to paying all these ba5tards that want to come to live in our country and be paid by the government) this would sort out the little sh1ts that are causing havoc in the streets.
 
#12
Colonel_Foreskin-Crumb said:
I have said this before and i will say it again, bring back national service (i know they wont, they cant afford it due to paying all these ba5tards that want to come to live in our country and be paid by the government) this would sort out the little sh1ts that are causing havoc in the streets.
No it wouldn't. National Service would be just about the worst possible response. Far better to spend the money that would otherwise go on the wages of the conscripts on kit and training for our current soldiers.
 
#13
ssupersixfour said:
Colonel_Foreskin-Crumb said:
I have said this before and i will say it again, bring back national service (i know they wont, they cant afford it due to paying all these ba5tards that want to come to live in our country and be paid by the government) this would sort out the little sh1ts that are causing havoc in the streets.
No it wouldn't. National Service would be just about the worst possible response. Far better to spend the money that would otherwise go on the wages of the conscripts on kit and training for our current soldiers.
Yep, good point. not thinking clearly this morning as I was sh1tfaced last night and the misses is giving me grief!! :cry:
 
#14
pinkrat said:
I'm afraid with Gordon Brown even the good General nor God will not be listened to, I'm afraid this country is going to go through a very long dark tunnel with this man, what we have seen with Bambi will be nothing compared to what this porridge Git will do, and do you know New Labour will win the next election because the Tories are gradually digging one big fakinc hole for themselves' anything you have he will want, your money your house your life, he will give it away to others who are more needy than you or I(according to him) and you can guarantee that the recipients will not be in this country, personally I'm facink worried. :(

I was worried as soon as I heard that he was going into number 10, a few months ago. Brown wont be a good PM- how can he be?...lets just hope hes not in power too long to do any severe damage..I just hope Labour arnt voted in again in 09.

Im not a fan of David Cameron..but how can he be worse that Blair/ Brown.??
In 10 years labour have done nothing to help us British people out.

My message to everyone is, vote anyone but Labour in the next election.
If you vote them in again, dont complain when you see Britain in another 10-15 years, or when your working a week before your due to die and cant get a penny off the Government.
 
#15
I start training with the TA next Friday.

Looks like I'll be seeing action a lot sooner than I anticipated :S

I strongly support what the army are doing in Afghanistan, but it is pointless wasting time on the sectarian bloodbath which is Iraq.

To the People Who Know Something:

Couldn't the 21,960 soldiers stationed in Germany be mobilized in an 'emergency'?
 
#16
I have just rejoined this site after a gap of 2 years after seeing this topic.

I am working in Helmand after serving 24 years in the mob and have seen a lot in the last 18 months.

While a lot of money has been spent on the forces out here on welfare (money well spent for once), I have seen the pathetic state of the kit the boys are expected to use on a daily basis. We all know about the Heli shortages etc, but the vehicles are also on their last legs and after a year of intense activity they are starting to show it.

If Broon wants to achieve his goals out here (what ever they are this week) he needs to make sure the money is not wasted on gash kit like the Mastiff monstrosity - designed to be used 80% on road and 20% off road (good idea to protect the boys but did the person that chose to send them here even look at a map).

There is more to this problem than manning it is management - so the CGS should kick some bottoms and get some people below him to start doing some!
 
#17
Stonker said:
I don't think CGS actually wrote this for public consumption - but it's out there, regardless. Wonder how this is going to sit with The Hand Of Gord?

The memo ( protectively marked RESTRICTED - MANAGEMENT), refers to to "limited inter-Service rebalancing, which - until someone explains otherwise to me - I take to be the compulsory transfer of personnel from one service to another, to make up shortfalls in the recipient service's capability.

I can think of no comparable event in my lifetime, and only know of two historical parallels. The most recent was wholesale re-training and re-equipping of air defence units (some of them RAF) as infantry during the manpower shortage of summer 1944 when casualties in the Normandy Bocage outstripped the nation's capacity to supply manpower at all (at that time they were sending teenage Bevin Boys down the mines and the upper conscription age had already been raised to 45 yrs). Before that, was the formation of the RN Division in WW1 - again for reasons of manpower shortfall. 8)
Yes, very good points. What this indicates is serious concern about manpower rather than equipment shortages. Of course the extension has to be 'what about their kit?'. Even if such virtually unprecedented changes come about, there are direct budgetary implications. Dannatt will be fully conversant with that, but has not made comment on the detail.

I fully expect Browne to start whining that 'everything is being done'' to ensure manpower and equipment levels are 'as necessary'. Two utterly meaningless phrases.

But I'm pleased that Dannatt has once again taken the initiative. That shows altogether much greater ability than his predecessor(s).
 
#18
I sure the General is right, the Army has been pared down to the bone. but it does make you wonder. With things so tight what are we doing with over 20,000 men in Germany? Putin may cut the gas off but he's not isn't about to come storming through the Fulda Gap.
 
#19
alib said:
I sure the General is right, the Army has been pared down to the bone. but it does make you wonder. With things so tight what are we doing with over 20,000 men in Germany? Putin may cut the gas off but he's not isn't about to come storming through the Fulda Gap.
But from that figure, deduct those that have just returned from Iraq/Afghanistan, those who are preparing to go to Iraq/Afghanistan, those who are on courses, those who are medically downgraded, etc.

msr
 
#20
msr said:
alib said:
I sure the General is right, the Army has been pared down to the bone. but it does make you wonder. With things so tight what are we doing with over 20,000 men in Germany? Putin may cut the gas off but he's not isn't about to come storming through the Fulda Gap.
But from that figure, deduct those that have just returned from Iraq/Afghanistan, those who are preparing to go to Iraq/Afghanistan, those who are on courses, those who are medically downgraded, etc.

msr
And your left with the magic number of 42 :twisted:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top