Danish army abuse of Iraqis

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. Err, isn't that how you do interrogation legally??? Or maybe people expect interrogation techniques to be like Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition:

[Biggles pushes in a comfy chair -- a really plush one]
    Ximinez: So you think you are strong because you can survive the soft cushions. Well, we shall see. Biggles! Put her in the Comfy Chair!
  3. Yes. Those techniques are held by most (non-US) legal authorities to contravene the Geneva Conventions relating to the treatment of prisoners. We do practice them under controlled conditions in training exercises with volunteers.
  4. Zactly, chickenpunk. The Conventions are explicit on such points. Without going into details, there are many effective questioning techniques which are not improper or illegal, as in professional policing work.

Respected journos please note: earlier posts in this thread, whilst quite properly seeking info and debate on serious subjects which have already been discussed on this site, should in my opinion NOT be taken as in any way representing current accepted practices in the British Army.
  5. Verbal abuse? That is just terrible. They shouted at them and called them nasty names? I'm in shock. :roll:
  6. Well we can't shout at soldiers anymore, so why should we be allowed to shout at 'detainees'..... :roll: :roll: :roll:
  7. eve. It wasn't just alleged verbal abuse though, was it? And we just dont know how serious, or otherwise, the alleged verbal abuse was in this case. Quite agree, it might turn out to be utterly trivial in which case the court should acquit.

Just how are insults going to be an effective questioning technique in any case? It demonstrates loss of control.

How does it work exactly? "You idle bunch of mujahedin, you broke your mothers' hearts but you wont break mine", etc. Does one use the "Insults" insert at the back of your language card, or do you tell your interpreter, "Give that terrorist a Scale A insulting for 30 minutes"?

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

You're quite right Hackle, it did involve more than verbal abuse, Capt Hommel has admitted she witheld water from a detainee during an interview three times...... within a period of about fifteen minutes ! Biatch !

De word on da street, far from being a "scandal [that] shocked many in Denmark", is that the troops in the sandpit should be allowed far-reaching powers to 'interrogate' suspects.
    In general there would appear to be more support amongst the public in Dk for the troops there than there is in the UK.

As a point of interest, the interpreter who brought this matter to light was an Iraqi who had fled Hussein's regime and taken residence in Scandawegia. On hearing of the wages being paid to anyone willing to act in this capacity he was an early volunteer.
    According to some blokes that worked with him, he was a lazy barstard and would flout all and any rules that he considered himself above - such as getting out of his charp to do some work and even striking some of the locals, secure in the knowledge that he was surrounded by armed soldiers.
    He was eventually sacked and went 'home' - to Denmark - in a huff.
    It was only then that he developed this sense of abhorrence for the evil interrogation methods used by Capt Hommel et al......
  9. Many thanks, and if those are the facts, I agree it is utterly trivial and down to a disgruntled individual and I hope and trust would never come to court in our system, military or civvy.

As you understand, Effendi Cuts, I just wanted to make the point for the benefit of 'visitors' that exposing a prisoner to serious insult or degradation, or the denial of food or water on a comparable scale to own troops, is specifically illegal and not part of our current accepted protocols for the questioning of detained persons.
  10. It all sounds so like school, then the TA, then Buller, Templer and sundry other Bks, then married life, that I feel quite at home on this thread.
  11. ...mind you, Mrs Whisky doesn't have the softness around the lips that Capt A does:[​IMG]
  12. Reckon she wears comfortable shoes?
  13. I'd say (bearing in mind that this isn't the NAAFI bar) that she's probably a teddy bear, who'll end up with a large family of fat and happy Dansk grandchildren. She's also as much a bugger as the swine who gripped my booox on an exercise in her country many years ago when I got caught. C'est la vie. Et vraiment c'est la guerre...
  14. Sorry. Don't know any Danish. Do they actually have a language?
  15. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Selvfølglig har danskerne et sprog !
    Hvordan fanden i helvede tror du ellers de snakker med hinanden ?
    Og boller for den sags skyld !

(Men jeg tror du fisker efter et bid - og du har hermed fået et !)