Dangers of the job?

Discussion in 'Gunners' started by monarchoftheglen1, Dec 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I'm trying to find out what sort of risk there is for joining the artillery, specifically on operations, in Afghanistan would the artillery be operating behind the lines? Or doing infantry type tasks instead like patrolling?

I'm really asking this from the perspective of potentially joining the TA gunners as I'm too old for the reg's.

ALso the other reason I'm asking this is as I'm really trying to understand and manage possible risks having dependents, appreciated that might not be a palatable consideration for some but bear with me please!

Any advice would be very useful

cheers

2. msr

msr LE

Why not ask in the TA forum? Anyway do you think the Taliban will give you an easier time if you are TA?

If you are concerned about the risks, then become a cadet instructor.

msr

3. Do what you want to do and lie to your missus - job done!

4. Cheers for the response,

I'm sure the Taliban won't give me an easier time being TA, just mentioned that for info really. I'm new here, maybe it would be better to try a TA forum

In terms of the risks, I'm sure I'm not the only person who's tried to find out more about a trade in terms of risk awareness prior to signing up, seems sensible to me.

5. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

Being a soldier in any Regiment is a risky business sadly

6. is your question related to this annual wah contest?

i would class it as 'risky'.... hope this helps

7. HI Speedy,

No I'm not a WAH contender, I generally don't know what I'm talking about on this front and am trying to understand more.

Thanks though

8. aww poor ting go and ask mummy what you should do.

BE A MAN GET A GRIP STOP BEING WEAK AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF

Go Royal Yeomanry and get in a tank

are you going to ask on every forum?

9. Are you having trouble reading different sources of information? It's alright I'll explain.

someone advised me to ask in the TA forum after posting in the reg forum.

I'm only after some advice no need to get all jumpy

10. The title you've given the thread suggests that you recognise there are dangers inherent to the profession of soldiering but then you frame a question which makes it seem you want to avoid the dangers. The simple answer to that is don't do the job, at all.

As for 'behind the lines' with the gunners being a safer option, it is rather facile, in the way of a Commando comic book understanding of conflict; Recent Royal Artillery casualty in Afghanistan

You'll also have to excuse me saying this, but mention of dependents is something of a canard, do you imagine that none of the personnel currently serving on operations, regular or reservist, have dependents?

If you can't reconcile yourself to the risks, don't do the job. That will not only save you any worry but also, and probably more importantly, there won't be any other soldiers constantly wondering whether you're focused on the task in hand meaning they can rely upon you unreservedly or whether your focus is avoiding risk; probably to their detriment.

Alternatively accept the the risk; after all you probably drive your car everyday despite the frankly massive chance that you will become a road traffic fatality and I'm betting you don't think of the wife and kids when you put your foot to the floor.

As an aside while I realise there is an increasing tendency for people to 'ask advice' which is shorthand for 'expect someone else to decide for them and tell them what to do' you'll find that in the main British soldiers have a tendency to not want to be told what to do. If you want to be one it wouldn't hurt to get into the same habit.

11. strut_jack,

Thanks for that - useful.
    I thought the dependants thing might illicit that response, and I can understand it. But that is just my train of thought at the moment.

I understand the are risks there, but not being part of that world at the moment, I just don't fully understand them in relation to the other trades, after all you've got to have information before deciding on a trade choice surely?

I tend to operate on a premise of understand as much as possible and make a decision thereafter.

If it is that risky maybe I will resign myself to finding something else - was worth finding out though.

Thanks

12. Hi strut,

Looked at the article regarding the fatality. Tragic. I am getting a clearer picture now, after reading your response in more detail I must say I can't quite see your line of reasoning on all points though.

I am aware of there are risks as stated before but the question mark in my subject line surely indicates a desire to understand more. Also I can't see how seeking to understand the risks further translates to a risk avoidance in the field, particularly to the detriment of peers, there's no evidence or implicit reasons that denote this in my query. I'm just a sensible guy that wants to weigh up risks before wasting time and resource by making an incorrect choice.

Regarding other servicemen/women having dependents is very true, but me asking the question certainly doesn't diminish any appreciation for their circumstances, I'm fact finding with family in mind. Nothing wrong with that. I don't think this is in any way a false predication or 'canard' as you say.

In terms of the seeking advice shorthand bit, one of the purposes of this site is to 'seek advice' isn't it? After all I'm trying to find a way to contribute to what you guys are doing myself rather than just spectate, there's no harm in trying to achieve that whilst at least understanding the risks is there? Fools rush in as they say.

Thanks anyway