Dangerous stuff.

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by revmodes, Jun 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Photo

    May 20, 2013

    14,771 notes

    Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don’t have a pet, please pass this to those who do_Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s web site,This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey’s, and they claim that “It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.”*Snopes site gives the following information:snopes.com: Cocoa Mulch Danger to Dogs .asp>Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman’s Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker’s chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.**PLEASE PASS THIS ON**

    Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don’t have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
    Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

    Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s web site,

    This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

    Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey’s, and they claim that “It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.”

    *Snopes site gives the following information:snopes.com: Cocoa Mulch Danger to Dogs

    .asp>

    Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman’s Garden Supply and other garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.

    Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker’s chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

    **PLEASE PASS THIS ON**
     
  2. Appreciate the thought, but always check this kind of thing with Snopes before passing it on, otherwise you're just another Facebook Mary. This is only very partially true:

    snopes.com: Cocoa Mulch Danger to Dogs
     
  3. Looking at the link it would seem that there have been some changes to the formula's in this product, even so it would put me off spreading this in my gardens being both a dog and cat owner. Do not need an ear bashing guys, better safe than sorry.
     
  4. Thanks for the heads up you need to post it in the Kennel Club thread aswell
     
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Being non techy perhaps a mod could do the honours?
     
  6. Anything chocolatey is dangerous to dogs in bigger than treat quantities, it's full of things like vanillin that do strange things to their adrenal systems. I dunno about cats.
     
  7. Good call, most folk know that chocolate is bad for dogs but would perhaps miss the obvious connection [in name] with garden mulch.

    Another thing to be aware of is potpourri. We had some in our a holiday home, left over by the last owner along with the furniture. In 2008, whilst at the Remembrance parade in Lerwick my dogs chose to pull it off the windowsill and scoff it. They were in the vets for five days and both were initially gravely ill, lucky to survive. Turns out that the majority of potpourri is produced in India where one of the most fragrant ingredients added comes from a plant harvested for strychnine. I later found out through a friend that someone they knew lost both dogs because they chomped the damned stuff.
     
  8. On the same subject, something I didn't know.

    Keep your cats away from Lillies (the flower that is) as if they eat the things or even lick the pollen off themselves it can kill quite quickly.

    Lily Poisoning in Cats | petMD
     
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Cool, so where can one buy lilles ?
     
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Read the link first.
     

  11. Lilliput?
     
    • Like Like x 1