Dangerous criminals released on probation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by theoriginalphantom, Apr 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dangerous offenders released on probation will face tougher supervision to prevent them re-offending, under new measures to be announced.
    The Home Secretary is expected to announce new restrictive orders similar to those applied to sex offenders.

It comes following concern over recent cases in which criminals on probation carried out murders.

But judges and probation officers have said the offender supervision system is already overloaded.

The measures are intended to protect members of the public from violent offenders.

Judges are expected to be given more powers to impose conditions on high-risk offenders once they are in the community.

Under the new orders dangerous offenders could be put under curfew, banned from sports grounds or even limited from how much alcohol they could drink.

'Dangerous people are best supervised in prison. You cannot turn the community into a prison of itself '
    Shami Chakrabarti, Liberty

Full Story here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4924686.stm
  2. Nice to know HMG is to close the stable door after the horse has bolted.

Shame that the horse was a murderer and a bigger shame that there's more than one horse.
  3. More to the point, if they are known to be a danger to the public, why are they being released at all?
  4. Because it costs alot of money to keep them locked up. At the end of the day in this society money is far more important then the welfare of the general public.
  5. i'v said it before, i'll say it again,

electronic tagging is a good idea, all it requires is a ball and chain attacted to the tag!
  6. First sign of the appoclypse?

Myself and by the looks of it, a few others agreeing with Chakrabarti....!