Danger Close - Colonel Stuart Tootal, 3 PARA

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Spenny, Aug 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ive just finished this book and found it to be an outstanding read!! Similar to 3 Para by Patrick Bishop, it covers the Battlegroup's deployment into Afghanistan on Herrick IV, this time looking at things from the CO's perspective.

Parts of the book that really stand out: The tragic death of Private Damien Jackson, the lone charge of Cpl Brian Budd VC against the Taliban, Colonel Tootal's emotional visit to Selly Oak…………... probably too many more to mention.

One other part in the book that for me personally really stood out, was once debated in a thread here on ARRSE. Fallschrimjager was of the opinion (something I agree with) that on some operations, wearing minimal or no body armour and lightweight Para helmets is far more effective than when wearing heavier, more cumbersome body armour and that the benefits outweigh the risks. Colonel Tootal explains his decision for authorising this on Herrick IV and his frustration at it being banned since. It makes interesting reading.

………………. and WH Smith have it on sale for £11!! :wink:

2. Saw this yesterday in the library and didn`t pick it up...will have to pay them another visit 8)

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Perhaps because long after the event Coroners and families do not take the same view, and will ask "..why wasn't the deceased not wearing the latest body armour/travelling in a "mine proof" vehicle/in a helicopter.. etc "

4. I see Stuart Tootal is speaking about his book at the Frontline club in London on 9th September. Frontline Club

5. I bought the book and consumed it pretty quickly. A good read and an interesting cross-bearing on the Bishop book.

What was interesting was what was not said. I'd have been very interested to have understood the difficulties the CO encountered with what struck me as a frankly mad command structure - working for a Canadian Brigadier, fine, but dealing with a British Colonel, deputy to the Canadian Brigadier as the British Brigadier who was his actual boss couldn't be in his chain of command... plus all the NATO embuggerance.

I assume many of these issues have now gone away, but it was nonetheless a useful insight into the problems of command. A huge weight of responsibility on one relatively young man's shoulders.