Damn Laptop .

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by whatnow?, Feb 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :evil:

Hi folks

looking for some ideas as to whats wrong with my laptop.

on startup the screen goes white/grey and then lots of thin coloured lines appear .Thats all ! the hard drive is ok as i plugged that into my pc and worked fine .

any ideas from the more computer savvy arrsers?

Thank you

whatnow? :(

2. Sounds like either the on board graphics is playing up or more likely the screens connection to the board is loose/damaged. Depending on how old the laptop is and if it is still under warranty, if it's not you could check the connection yourself :twisted:

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

My Toshiba went like that & that's what I was told as well,now the screen is black with 1 or 2 coloured lines.
    Eventually I'll get it put in for repair (sods law it was just out of warrenty!) but I went & bought a cheap E-Book with my bounty.

5. msr

msr LE

Right;

How old is the laptop?

Which make is it?

Which model is it?

I am good, but I am not psychic...

msr

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Bought my Toshiba Equim L10-300 Sept 05.The hinge on the right siezed when I closed it once & the bottom hinge bit cracked off.Went wonky from there.
    Cheers
    spike

8. Isn't there a socket on most laptops to connect an external monitor. If your laptop will run with taht added it may eliminate a few possible problems.
    Make it hard to use on the tube though.

9. Good advice there, will soon tell you if the graphics card or the screen connection is the problem. If you can connect an external monitor you will have the same screen as the laptop so you will be able to do a few checks on the graphics system. If it is screen connections and they are knackered it may cost you more to fix than a new laptop.

Jim

10. :x i took the thing apart

put it back together and it worked ???????

turned off and now wont work again ?

i tried plugging into my kids monitor and nothing happened .

when it was working i quickly saw a microsoft error report saying the processor was not compatible with the bios ? Surely this problem would have popped up in the previous 18 months ?

would a bios fault cause the white /stripy screen ?

If not whats the best way to deny it (for insurance purposes perhaps)

Again any help gratefully received

Whatnow?

11. Water is your best friend when it comes to Laptop insurance claims :)

Dog knocked over the vase, laptop got soaked, is now broke. Cue some shiny PC World vouchers.

By the way, plugging in an external monitor won't prove anything on SOME laptops as you sometimes have to manually set the 2nd screen to work the first time you plug it in, which you can't do if the damn thing won't switch on.

12. Yes Aunty Stella agree but one can only try :)

whatnow? , how about doing the same procedure you done to get it working again and done a systems check AND plugged into your monitor, you never know you may find a problem!!

Jim

13. I have been informed that Coke (full fat) is an excellent death stroke to a laptop?

The Hard drive is ok though so i might take that for a wee media box project

Thank you fellow arrsers for all the advice

Whatnow? :twisted:

14. By the way, when you get the shiny PC World vouchers (practically every insurance company coughs these up now instead of cash for PC's and Laptops) the oiks at PC World will try to upgrade you.

Go for around a £150 upgrade, play along with the sales git right up until the point you are going to pay and then say that you have changed your mind and would rather look again at the laptops within the voucher price range.

They'll drop by up to £75 if pushed, then you get a nice new shiny much better equipped laptop than the one you had before for a mere £75 outlay. I did it with my "water damaged" PC and got told that one by the disgruntled sales guy that actually sold me the replacement! All of their sales geeks have the authority to drop prices if need be.

15. msr

msr LE

Many thanks for putting everyone else's premiums up :roll:

msr