Damian Hall:Pennine Way record attempt.

Another attempt by Damian Hall to regain the record he lost to John Kelly last year.He starts tomorrow.

I wondered why his checkpoints were all wonky until I realised he's running North to South.

CivviWalker

War Hero
Seems to be going quite well despite the wind in his face.Still a bit behind Kelly's time at Bryness but its early days and he has been running into a head wind.

Does the Trophy icon on the map show where Tom Kelly was at the same elapsed time ?
Looks like it from the caption in the top right corner.

pennine.jpg

CivviWalker

War Hero
Looks like at the moment (20.00 hrs 26 May) Damien is running about 45 minutes behind Tom Kelly's time.

John Kelly must have had trouble towards the finish as he slowed considerably over the last fifty miles.His average was around 4.6mph for the entire route.So far Damian has an overall average of 5mph so if he can keep this pace going he will break the record.

I did the PW a couple of times in the 70s, took me 12 days or so, ho ho. Got the free pint in the pub at Kirk Yetholm. Do they still do that ?

ISTR that the record at the time was held by a team from RAF Mountain Rescue, roundabout 4 days.

CivviWalker

War Hero
I did the PW a couple of times in the 70s, took me 12 days or so, ho ho. Got the free pint in the pub at Kirk Yetholm. Do they still do that ?

ISTR that the record at the time was held by a team from RAF Mountain Rescue, roundabout 4 days.

Its been reduced to half a pint for the last forty years.I got mine in 1983 and since then I have completed the route around eight times.Best time was 12 days in 1989.Slowest was 15 days when we had rain for almost two weeks.That was before the paving was put down and it was like walking in a swamp.

Its been reduced to half a pint for the last forty years.I got mine in 1983 and since then I have completed the route around eight times.Best time was 12 days in 1989.Slowest was 15 days when we had rain for almost two weeks.That was before the paving was put down and it was like walking in a swamp.
Yes, I have seen recent photos of places like Black Hill and Soldier's Lump with paving slabs. When I was still active, those places were like Passchendaele !

CivviWalker

War Hero
Damian has pulled out near Hebden Bridge with around 40 miles to go.He said he had faced fierce headwinds throughout the walk and had got behind schedule.