Dame Vera Lynn at No.1 in the Charts

Just saw on BBC News.

Dame Vera Lynn has gone to No.1, beating the just realeased Beatles back catalogue hands down.

Well done that lassie :D

Well, you can't beat class, can you? Jaisus, she must be about a hunnert years old now. That's some going, and well done to her.

MsG

I would.

oldmuso said:
Bugsy said:
Well, you can't beat class, can you? Jaisus, she must be about a hunnert years old now. That's some going, and well done to her.

MsG
Still a young thing in her 90's :wink:
And still making records? Now that really is phenomenal!

MsG

T

Tremaine

Dame Vera is literally a wartime icon. In interviews on the Beeb website, she "worries about our Armed Forces" , and wonders who's buying the record.

As her album's number one, I hope it means what I think it means. We don't have a modern day Vera, speaking out for the troops, on albums, and in the News. And we should have.

Some folk have been touting Kath Jenkins here on Arrse as the new vera Lynn.

Never could see it.

But, watching her on that BBC prog about "this week in 1939".....

Her eyes hypnotised me. Either that or she needs new contacts.

I would, but lose the yellow peroxide look hen.

Sparky me Owd!
It also excludes you delusional Porridge Wogs from feeling like you won "God's lottery of Life", as you were not born English!

IndianaDel said:
Sparky me Owd!
It also excludes you delusional Porridge Wogs from feeling like you won "God's lottery of Life", as you were not born English!
Not born English??

That's EXACTLY why we know we won that lottery of Life. :D

JonnoJonno said:
Any wartime entertainer that hoovered up that much squaddie cock deserves a medal not just a number one.
I never saw Arthur Askey's name mentioned....

"These boys gave their lives and some came home badly injured and for some families, life would never be the same. We should always remember, we should never forget and we should teach the children to remember."
Well said Dame Vera.

Edited to add:
I have seen pictures or her in uniform during WW II. Was she in the service during the war or did she wear a uniform when overseas much as war correspondents wear uniforms.

DavidBOC said:
"These boys gave their lives and some came home badly injured and for some families, life would never be the same. We should always remember, we should never forget and we should teach the children to remember."
Well said Dame Vera.

Edited to add:
I have seen pictures or her in uniform during WW II. Was she in the service during the war or did she wear a uniform when overseas much as war correspondents wear uniforms.
She often adopted local service dress, although she was a civilian.

S

syledis

JonnoJonno:
Any wartime entertainer that hoovered up that much squaddie cock deserves a medal not just a number one.

FFS Jonno!!

Every time i think you have hit rock bottom, you excell yourself!!!

Good Drills

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Was it in here (I think it was in the weekend papers on reflection) I read a few days ago that DVL's reaction to the outbreak of the war was, "There goes my career as a singer."

AlienFTM said:
Was it in here (I think it was in the weekend papers on reflection) I read a few days ago that DVL's reaction to the outbreak of the war was, "There goes my career as a singer."
That was not only DVL's initial reaction, but the reaction of most entertainers if they were honest enough to admit it.

Marlene Dietrich, on the other hand would have been doing cartwheels. She may not have had a huge back catalogue, but "Lilli Marlene"......

That's showbiz. :D

My favourite song of WW2, Lilli Marlene, by Lale Andersen, a few years ago I loaned two sheets of 'Lilli' music to a 'Lilly Marlene Exibition' in Bonn,
one by 'Billy Cotton' and the other by 'Judy Shirley', Ann Shelton did a nice version too. I received a very nice 'Thank you' letter from the German veterans.

Attachments