Dame Vera Lynn aged 103 just passed away.

An unassuming truly graceful lady with a beautiful voice whose songs during WW2 connected soldiers all over the world with their loved ones at home …. I too raise my hat to the fact that she went into the jungle in the Far East to entertain front line troops .

She may be gone but will be remembered for a long time to come .

RIP Dame Vera Lynn

Last edited:
Dame Vera Lynn undoubtedly was a national treasure. Consider the era where she began that part of her career that led to her becoming a national treasure, she was easily an iconic figure even before the word “iconic“ was perhaps more commonly used in the English language.

If you asked the question of which British name was synonymous with WW2, for many people, Dame Vera would be included probably in the top two or three names. Slip into the question a reference to music in WW2 and she would easily be top of the list for the majority of people.

Her career didn’t stop after WW2 and neither did her support for the armed forces, particularly those who didn’t come home to their loved ones and also very much those who did make it home but not unscathed. Dame Vera has also publicly and unwaveringly supported those who have served in the various post WW2 conflicts over the years.

From what I’ve read about Dame Vera in the news over the years and in places like Wikipedia etc, Dame Vera consistently set and followed standards of behaviour that would make the world a far better place to live in if the majority of people tried to behave as she did throughout her life.

Some arrsers should take note! :)

Rest in Peace to Dame Vera Lynn.

A huge class act, an Icon long before most people knew what an Icon was and a thoroughly decent human being.

KnockKnock

Old-Salt
Two young-ish papers reviewers on Sky mid-morning. The lass said that DV "had her own radio channel during the war", the lad said she "went to perform behind Japanese lines, which must have been dangerous".

It seems what they say is unimportant, saying something is enough. Money for old rope.
Well it would have been a radio station, but all we had was BBC The light programme, Home service and Third. WW2 and it was a little too early to find Radio Luxenburg on my crystal set

Well it would have been a radio station, but all we had was BBC The light programme, Home service and Third. WW2 and it was a little too early to find Radio Luxenburg on my crystal set
Well, it would only have been a programme. And would be now, unless it were a podcast

I watched some of the tribute on telly that was made for her 100th birthday last night.

Interviews with old boys who recalled watching her on stage in Burma, and those who listened to her on the radio whilst sitting in the desert or jungle made it perfectly clear how much it meant to them.

It wasn't just music and entertainment, it was a reconnection to home.

The value of the morale boost is incalculable.

I'm reminded of the gravestone of Lady Sale, who survived the Retreat from Kabul and was the widow of General "Fighting Bob" Sale.

"Here lies all that could die of Lady Sale"

I think that something similar would be suitable for Dame Vera Lynn.

I'm still trying to imagine her doing an anti Heroin gig with Lemmy and Hawkwind, that must have been the most surreal anti drugs events ever

The funeral in Brighton is currently being live streamed by The Sun.

Considering its wartime significance I personally would have had the funeral at St. Paul's Cathedral.

The funeral in Brighton is currently being live streamed by The Sun.

Considering its wartime significance I personally would have had the funeral at St. Paul's Cathedral.

Perhaps the memorial service later in the year will be held at St Pauls. The Ditchling/Brighton funeral today was probably to DVL's wishes.

Latest Threads