Dambusters to be remade

Having read the thread on Tom Cruise's new film about Billy Fiske, I was reading through the Tory-graph this morning and saw this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...dam09.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/12/09/ixhome.html

Ok, it is to be made by a British director using a British actor as Guy Gibson VC and keeping that iconic march but I don't see how it can be made any better so why risk ruining it?

Your opinions?

Leave it alone, its a classic.

I'd be interested to see them try and find a flying Wellington or a Mosquito though :D

Mighty_doh_nut said:

I'd be interested to see them try and find a flying Wellington or a Mosquito though :D
I'm almost certainly walking into a wah, but the Dambusters raid used Lancs.

Who needs to find flying versions of the plane when they can just use computers to put the planes on the screen.

Sparky

strut_jack said:
Mighty_doh_nut said:

I'm almost certainly walking into a wah, but the Dambusters raid used Lancs.
They used Wellingtons for the training runs, hence the famous scene where Barnes Wallis blags one because he designed it!!

OldSnowy said:
Bet they change the dog's name :)
Apparantly they want to concentrate more on the characters and private lives of the crews but are still uncertain about whether or not to include the dog :? :(

Lancashire Hussar said:
They used Wellingtons for the training runs, hence the famous scene where Barnes Wallis blags one because he designed it!!
They used Wellingtons in the design process of the bomb but the training runs were done in Lancs

OldSnowy said:
Yep! be changed to Blackie or something more pc acceptable.And I would not be surprised if it ends up a bleeding heart/angst film questioning the morals etc over what they did instead of portraying them for what they were-a bunch of very brave men who did some incredible deeds in very difficult times.Leave well alone I say!! the first film covered it well enough!
The dog's name was 'n***er' and he was run over just before Sqn Ldr Gibson left for his mission!

CarpeDiem said:
Lancashire Hussar said:
They used Wellingtons in the design process of the bomb but the training runs were done in Lancs
CarpeDiem, that's what I meant, thank you for that, saved me having to go back and edit!

Regards

LH

cpunk

LE
I remember reading a funny story about Guy Gibson in David Niven's 'Moon's a Balloon'. After the Dams Raid and being awarded the VC, he was invited to have dinner at 10 Downing Street with Churchill but went out on the p1ss, got laid and totally forgot about it. Classic drills! :D

Quote "We shall have a bit more about the characters, about the private life of Guy Gibson and some of the key members of his team. We want to make it more three dimensional." The raid took place on the night of May 16, 1943, when 19 Lancasters of the specially formed 617 Squadron took off from Scampton in Lincolnshire. They breached the Mohne and Eder dams but eight bombers were lost and 53 crew killed.

Leave it alone ........ The article says it wants to dig more into the characters of Guy Gibson. Jeez the men were heroes as were all Aircrew. I really do not care what quirks or foibles these men had!! The original film is a testament to all the brave aircrews that flew on these missions. My Grandfather was a Wireless Operator in Pathfinder Lancaster with 156 Squadron. He was killed sadly in 1944 returning from a mission over Leipzig. When i was a young lad my gran would sit me on her knee when Dambusters was on, and say to me that was what your Grandad flew in. So as you can imagine the film holds some special memories for me. I really dont want to see Jude Law or any other cr*p actor ruining a classic.

Richard Todd portrayed Gibson in a way that many families coulds relate to a lost loved one.

Id like to see the film go on and show the Tirpitz stuff and underground bunkers with the "tall boys" and "grand slams"

I don't think you could ever ruin the Classic original, but imagine what a new computerised film of it could be like, it will show the viewer a bit more realistically just exactly what these extraordinarily courageous men actually went through, imagine a 'Saving Private Ryan' style film but form a bomber crews perspective, Saving Private Ryan showed a nation in some way what their Grandfathers went through to provide them with the freedom they have today; it can't do any wrong, there isn't a modern film made yet that shows what these guys went through, apart from Memphis Belle but even that is fairly tame compared to what it must have been like!

When is it due to be released?

Hat20 said:
OldSnowy said:
Yep! be changed to Blackie or something more pc acceptable.And I would not be surprised if it ends up a bleeding heart/angst film questioning the morals etc over what they did instead of portraying them for what they were-a bunch of very brave men who did some incredible deeds in very difficult times.Leave well alone I say!! the first film covered it well enough!
The dog's name was 'n***er' and he was run over just before Sqn Ldr Gibson left for his mission!
Should the n***er's memory be defamed by being changed, I'll stand up in the cinema and shout "The dog's name was n***er!" :x , possibly followed by a small tirade about re-writing history and demanding my money back...

Followed no doubt by struggling while they put the cuffs on and take me away under the Prevention of Terrorism Act :oops:

I'm sure, but could be wrong that 'n***er' was buried at the main gate of RAF Scampton.

Hasn't Scampton now closed?

Did they exume the mutt and move the grave?

Maj_Boothroyd said:
Hat20 said:
OldSnowy said:
Should the n***er's memory be defamed by being changed, I'll stand up in the cinema and shout "The dog's name was n***er!" :x , possibly followed by a small tirade about re-writing history and demanding my money back...

Followed no doubt by struggling while they put the cuffs on and take me away under the Prevention of Terrorism Act :oops:
Mmmmmmm........'Here, Afro/American Canine - walkies!'

Not quite the same ring?

Has anyone told the germans about the re-enactment - cant imagine they are going to be overly keen on being flooded again - sorry its a film not a reenactment - but i suppose as the Americans are doing it - theyll now be flying either b1's or b2s with laser guided bombs and historical accuracy will go out of the window totally.

The only down side to it I can see is that if they show the dog they will rename it as it was called n***er, we are living in a bledy strange day and age when we can't display a Wartime Bomber Crews' favourite dogs' name for fear of upsetting the ethnic minority in our own Country by using a word that originates from the Dutch and German Language:

{n***er is an extremely controversial term used in many English-speaking countries, including the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and Australia (but also in other languages such as German as a loanword) to refer to people of African descent. During the chattel enslavement of Africans, it was once the standard, casual English term for black people. Associations with the word traditionally have been an institutional contempt, a presumption of inherent inferiority, even of bestiality, making it extremely pejorative and abusive.

Despite, or expanding the controversy, "n***er" originates from the Dutch and German "neger," which is their orthography and phonetics for the Portuguese and Spanish "negro." The English distorted neger to "negar" to "n***er." "Neger" (sometimes spelled "neggar") prevailed in the North in New York under the Dutch and in Philadelphia in the Moravian and "Pennsylvania Dutch" [German] communities. For example, the New York City "African Burial Ground" was originally known as "Begraaf Plaats van de Neger." It acquired its offensive and dehumanizing character from the confluence of Catholic and Protestant religious doctrine of nations engaged in slavery and, in America, the American Revolution, which could not admit to black equality, even after freedom. Thus, after the Revolution n***er became a racial epithet, a word of hatred, for the black presence in "white" America.

Historically, African Americans have appropriated the slur, subverting it to a self-referential term that is often suggestive of familiarity, endearment, or kinship. When spelled phonetically, the word often was represented as nigguh; however, currently, when used in this manner, the spelling is often changed to nigga or niggah. In general the word is accepted as being racist and dehumanizing.}

!!!!!

I must admit, I do miss the old Gollywog on the Jamjars though!