Dambusters remembered 65 years on

Dambusters remembered 65 years on

A service and fly-past will be held later to mark the 65th anniversary of the World War II Dambusters mission.

A Lancaster bomber will fly three times over Derwent Reservoir in Derbyshire, which was used by the original pilots to train ahead of their famous raid.

In 1943, the RAF's 617 Squadron set out to destroy three dams in Germany's Ruhr valley. They managed to breach two, giving a boost to Britain's war effort.

The service will remember the eight aircraft and 53 crew who were lost.

It will be held on top of the Derwent dam on Friday morning.

A Spitfire, a Hurricane, two Tornadoes and a Dakota transport plane - all from the present 617 Squadron - will join the fly-past.

They are travelling from RAF Coningsby in Lincolnshire to take part.

Squadron Leader Les Munro, the last surviving pilot from the mission which was codenamed Operation Chastise, will be a guest of honour.

Also present will be Michael Gibson, whose uncle, Wing Commander Guy Gibson, led the Dambusters.

During the service, 88-year-old Richard Todd, who played Mr Gibson in the 1954 film The Dambusters, will lay poppies on the water of the reservoir.

On 16 May 1943, 19 aircraft set out to destroy the Mohne, Eder and Sorpe dams in Germany's industrial heartland.

They used so-called "bouncing bombs" which skimmed across the water towards their target.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk/7404052.stm
Published: 2008/05/16 04:46:28 GMT
© BBC MMVIII

Wasn't there supposed to be a new Dambusters movie released this year?

PsyWar.Org said:
http://www.cinematical.com/2006/08/31/peter-jackson-is-remaking-dam-busters-after-all/

Peter Jackson IS Remaking Dam Busters After All

Though he stridently denied his interest in a remake just a few months ago, Peter Jackson has a long-standing love for 1954's The Dam Busters, a British film about a real-life secret squadron created to to destroy three crucial German dams during World War II. And, according to an exclusive interview he gave Screen Daily yesterday, Jackson is, in fact, producing that non-existent remake.* He actually inquired about the rights to the film years ago, before work on the The Lord of the Rings series had even begun. At that time he was told the rights were held by Icon, and that Mel Gibson was considering a remake, but they recently became available again, and Jackson snatched them up.
The film -- retitled Dambusters for our slick, streamlined times -- will be directed by long-time Jackson collaborator Christian Rivers, and the pair have already done extensive research for the project, including trips to England to interview the squadron's surviving pilots, and Germany to visit the rebuilt dams. Though Jackson told Screen Daily that he hopes to begin shooting by the middle of next year with a budget between $30 and $40 million, he and Rivers have yet to hire a screenwriter.

*There's no word yet on whether the offensively named dog will make it into the 21st century version or not.
they could get a blond lab and call him wigger.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/08/31/will_jackson_sh.html

i honestly hope he is re-making DB, look at the great job he did of re-vamping King Kong.

The flypast will be shown live on BBC news 24 (or whatever it's called now) at roughly 1030hrs.

Apparently Stephen Fry is writing the screenplay at the moment.
Good news insomuch as it will have a properly British slant, as opposed to an American one.
Can you imagine if they got thier mitts on it? The dams would have been breached by one bomb run each in B17s in daylight

DrStealth said:
PsyWar.Org said:
http://www.cinematical.com/2006/08/31/peter-jackson-is-remaking-dam-busters-after-all/

Peter Jackson IS Remaking Dam Busters After All

Though he stridently denied his interest in a remake just a few months ago, Peter Jackson has a long-standing love for 1954's The Dam Busters, a British film about a real-life secret squadron created to to destroy three crucial German dams during World War II. And, according to an exclusive interview he gave Screen Daily yesterday, Jackson is, in fact, producing that non-existent remake.* He actually inquired about the rights to the film years ago, before work on the The Lord of the Rings series had even begun. At that time he was told the rights were held by Icon, and that Mel Gibson was considering a remake, but they recently became available again, and Jackson snatched them up.
The film -- retitled Dambusters for our slick, streamlined times -- will be directed by long-time Jackson collaborator Christian Rivers, and the pair have already done extensive research for the project, including trips to England to interview the squadron's surviving pilots, and Germany to visit the rebuilt dams. Though Jackson told Screen Daily that he hopes to begin shooting by the middle of next year with a budget between $30 and $40 million, he and Rivers have yet to hire a screenwriter.

*There's no word yet on whether the offensively named dog will make it into the 21st century version or not.
they could get a blond lab and call him wigger.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/culturevulture/archives/2006/08/31/will_jackson_sh.html

i honestly hope he is re-making DB, look at the great job he did of re-vamping King Kong.
Ace remark on the Guardian site you linked to:

....lets have a white labrador and call it 'chav' - after all, the white working class are infra dig for everyone, or a brown one and call it 'dual heritage/other'. Or a black one and call it African American; "African American - stop licking your bollocks!"
What are they going to call the Germans now that Fritz, Bosch, Hun and Squarehead are out? How about 'Newly empowered European cousins with a strong cultural biase towards traditional gender roles'
Anyone out there in local government want to give me a job in Solutions?
Posted by jinbad on August 31, 2006 6:05 PM.
Two years on and no film. Hmmm....

snapper said:
They should do the fly past over the real dams..... :lol:

Back in the '90s the Junior Officers in a certain Regt were in the middle of planning a Mess Dinner on one of the dams (IIRC it was the Mohne) for the 16th, until the CO got wind of it! :oops:

I was at the fly past and an excellent sight it was too.

I was joined on top of the hill where I was watching by a load of kids from the city who were also "well impressed wiv them old planes....what did they bomb then?" etc etc, and I did my best to inform them, which is more than the teachers did because I suspect they just didn't know.