Dambusters, 69th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Fang_Farrier, May 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

2. 70th
  3. Lets have another go. They won't be expecting us this time.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Personally I think it was a type of doolittle raid that was much more effective.
  5. And gave Churchill a propaganda coup during his visit to the USA. It also sent a message to the Boxheeds, no matter how big it is we can/will break it.
  6. Wasn't just a message but it put the factories in the Ruhr out of action for... a week or two and the Dam was rebuilt within a year. Some say it was pointless, but it is argued that it diverted AA units away from places like Normandy which by chance became crucial for D-Day.

BBC showing some commemoration event marking the anniversary and remembering the dead. I expected to see the Mohne dam, no just Eyebrook where they practiced the raids. Nice to see the Lancaster doing the fly past but overall I find it rather pathetic doing it there and ignoring the deaths on both sides. Obviously ze Germans wouldn't approve of a Lancaster doing a fly past over the Mohne but I thought the BBC could have bothered to send over a crew, after all they find it no problem to send a team to some desolate part of the UK every time it snows

Sent via Tapatalk HD
  7. A week or two equates to an awful lot of lost production.

The RAF's (and USAAF) bombing campaign had a devastating effect on German war production which often seems to be overlooked by history
  8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

It meant the Krauts had to divert resources to all the other places they thought we might try this on as well as augmenting the dams' defences in case we came back. Every 88mm on a factory was one less on the Eastern Front.

Rommel complained about lack of men and material for progressing the Atlantic Wall - because it had been diverted to dam repair. In that way the raid also helped D-Day.
  9. Was in the Mohne area last weekend and the local papers had a bit about the "Flutkatastrophe".

Lots of stuff about rememberance displays, photos and how many locals got deaded and such like but strangely enough not one of them mentioned how the dam came to be broken in the first place.

Asked the in-laws and they knew all about it of course but I just found it odd that in amongst all the reporting there wasn't even one mention of the bombing raid.
  10. They were still repairing the Eder dam only a few summers ago, for many years they couldn't fill the dam to capacity whilst they patched up the original hasty patch, so yes, if it's still hurting them economically 70 years on, then it's a result!

My old dear was accross here at the time and was keen to see the dams, she was as pleased as punch, her Dad worked for AVRO at Woodford all his life and worked many long hours "adapting the Specials."

Barnes Wallace, the shiny arsed dead boffin who just keeps on giving......
    • Like Like x 7
  11. It certainly didn't do Dresden china any good, that's for sure!
  12. A lesson they simply failed to learn.....

....Mimoyecques V3 base.........still looking a bit peakey!
  13. Nor the optics factories, or the AA gun factory, the chemical weapons facility, field gun factory or the major railway marshalling yard......

Dresden wasn't Disneyland, it was just another German city engaged in war production.
    • Like Like x 6
  14. That confused me a bit, I assume that you have some kind of problem with blockbusters and firebombs raining on Disneyland.....pray tell why?
    • Like Like x 2

15. 69th Anniversary. 70 years since the raid.

Regardless of semantics it is still a truly awe inspiring feat. 53 very brave men died that night.
    • Like Like x 1