Dam busters.

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by old_fat_and_hairy, May 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

On Jeremy Vine show right now, the recollection of one of the crew. Tremendous stuff and great description of the damage.

Only regret was that they didn't have the mightily powerful slr. Wouldn't have needed the bombs.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. I'm only surprised Jeremy cunting Vine didn't try to derail it into a discussion of the dog's name.

3. Jeremy Vine has a dog?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Why not? He uses an SLR in interviews apparently.

5. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

When he was talking to john Nicholls, who was discussing the raid and who mentioned the 42% casualty rate, vine did sharply add that Germans were killed. Nicholls agreed and gave the figures. Vine showed his liberal credentials by stressing that this should not be forgotten. Nicholls gave him a quick but succinct refresher on total war.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

6. Quite right. Germans were killed. Innocent civilians and brave men from the Luftwaffe. My grandparents took in two downed Luftwaffe crew after the war while they were waiting to be repatriated. They got some shit for it too.

I met one of them many years later and he was a lovely bloke.

Doesn't mean it was wrong to try to kill him at the time. Doesn't mean he was wrong to come and drop his bombs on Liverpool and nor was it wrong for Bomber Command to drop bombs on Dresden.

I fucking despise the aplogists. Nazi Germany needed twatting and that was the only way to do it, beat it flat.

• Like Like x 3
  7. I don't think Bomber Command contributed that much to the outcome of the war. Most of the bombing in the early years was nowhere near on target. Even when it was, the Germans had things back to normal within a few days usually.

The strategic decision to target civilian communities didn't add that much either. Most of the blokes were away fighting. Mostly women, kids and old men were killed. All it did was strengthen the German resolve considering they're mostly stubborn cunts.

8. Then you need to do some serious reading, Matey. In the early days you're quite right, but towards the end of the war Bomber Command was seriously heavy duty, sending up to 1400 heavy bombers in a single raid, guided by OBOE and H2E, carrying up to 12,000 lb of bombs each. The triple raid on Dresden alone killed up to 100 000 Germans and devastated the city. (32km2)

No-one can take punishment like that and keep fighting.

9. Iv'e mentioned this before, but there's some impression that bombing was tit for tat when it wasn't at all. The Luftwaffe engaged in nusiance raids, mainly on London and Liverpool - and of course famously, Coventry.

Bomber Harris set out to flatten all of Germany and had a strike force capable of wrecking around 1/4 of a city in a single raid.

There is no question among military historians that Bomber Command won WWII.

10. Apart from ze Germans, who did. To the literal end when the country was overrun by ground forces.

I know the whole Bomber Command thing has been done to death and that opinions on either side are as entrenched as the Fuhrer in his bunker. It really pisses me off, though, when the Germans try to pass themselves off as some kind of innocent victim of naked English aggression and cunts like Vine back them up to spark a debate on his radio show.

The commemoration of a remarkable act like Op CHASTISE in way detracts from the remembrance of all those who died and I just wish some of the think cunts in our media could recognise that.

11. Ze Germans shouldn't have started it. Bomber Harris was a fucking savage, no two ways about it. He measured success in acreage, even when Portal was trying to convince people that he didn't. The Americans were flying in daylight to try to do precision raids. Harris flew at night because he just wanted to wreck cities. He alternated waves of HE and incendiaries so that he could wreck, burn and then bomb the emergency services.

Things might have been different if precision bombing was possible back then, but it wasn't.. so if you want to hit the Krupp Works, you have to wreck the town that it's in and hope to hit that too.

Ze Germans are a bit upset that Harris was pretty transparently interested in area bombing, but it really is a moot point. The Americans were area bombing too - it's just that they were trying not to.

But if Ze Germans hadn't started it, there would have been no whirlwind to reap, so Herr Hitler is the man to thank, not Bomber Harris.

12. How come the Germans fought to the very end then? What did Dresden achieve besides killing tens of thousands of refugees and flattening houses?

Don't get me wrong. I don't give a flying fuck that hundreds of thousands of German civilians were killed, but I don't believe the bombing achieved much in strategic terms to the final outcome.

13. Cool.

What's your point?

14. Liverpool port was receiving lots of supplies from the US at the time wasn't it?

15. Yes. Atlantic sea port.