Dam Busters remake - send SITREP: over

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Does anyone know what is going on with he Peter Jackson Remake of the Dam Busters? Google doesn't seem to know...

Thats because its spelt 'Dam Busters' anyway i found this on wikipedia, after a google search ;)

"Remake

Work on a remake of Dambusters, produced by Peter Jackson and directed by first time director Christian Rivers, is in production in 2008. Jackson has said in the mid-1990s he became interested in remaking the 1954 film, but found that the rights had been bought by Mel Gibson. In 2004, Jackson was contacted by his agent, who said Gibson had dropped the rights. Stephen Fry is writing the script of the film.[5] It will be distributed by Universal Pictures and StudioCanal.[6] Filming will commence in early 2009, on a budget of 40 million United States dollars."

So it seems if its being made its currently being filmed this year.

C

cloudbuster

At least one of the Chinese-built Lancaster mockups was aired in NZ a couple of weeks ago, to test some of the camera equipment - Flypast's Historic forum and Pprune's Hysteria and Neuralgia board have some details.

You may wish to know that anyone involved in the production is sworn to secrecy, on pain of having any contracts terminated. Hence the apparent lack of info.

BTW, it's spelled 'Dam'.

HTH

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
cloudbuster said:
At least one of the Chinese-built Lancaster mockups was aired in NZ a couple of weeks ago, to test some of the camera equipment - Flypast's Historic forum and Pprune's Hysteria and Neuralgia board have some details.

You may wish to know that anyone involved in the production is sworn to secrecy, on pain of having any contracts terminated. Hence the apparent lack of info.

BTW, it's spelled 'Dam'.

HTH
Damn, my mong spelling comes back to tease me - you'll notice I've edited my original post.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
BuggerAll said:
Does anyone know what is going on with he Peter Jackson Remake of the Dam Busters? Google doesn't seem to know...
Just bringing the correct spelling to the head of the queue.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
jagman said:
jimnicebutdim said:
Maninthestreet said:
Linked from Fark of all places. Probably a load of but that's all I've got.

http://blogs.theage.com.au/schembri/archives/2009/05/_just_in_case_y.html

Looks like the usual rubbish to me :(
Have you seen all the bollox on that site about name of the dog?

FFS :x
Its really simple, if they don't call the dog n***er in the movie I won't watch it.
History should not be censored by political correctness
Stephen Fry is doing the script so I don't think he is a man to be bullied over sensitive PC Nazis. I do remember them saying that there may be an intro to the film to discuss this and other issues such as the destruction of the Rhure valley - to put it in it's historic context.

jagman said:
jimnicebutdim said:
Maninthestreet said:

Its really simple, if they don't call the dog n***er in the movie I won't watch it.
That's a bit extreme, isn't it? The film isn't about a dog, it's about the Dam buster raids. I don't think any black labradors dropped bouncing bombs on the ruhr.

Ans since when has historical accuracy been important to Hollywood?

Here's my solution. Change the dog from a labrador to a pit bull and call it Tyson. Then shave all the heads of the cast and dress them in replica England shirts. Make sure everyone is seen drinking Stella in the station mess.

I heard the film is to be shot on location at RAF Scampton (I believe the original was too aswell as Hemswell Cliff just down the road). I also believe that Sir David Frost owns the rights to the film. I think there is a newspaper article about it on the wall in the Dam Busters pub in Scampton town. I wonder if this is why they were looking to move the Reds to Waddington?
n***er was dubbed as trigger for the US release of the original too, of course it had different connotations in the UK to the US back then.

walt_of_the_walts said:
That's a bit extreme, isn't it? The film isn't about a dog, it's about the Dam buster raids. I don't think any black labradors dropped bouncing bombs on the ruhr.

Here's my solution. Change the dog from a labrador to a pit bull and call it Tyson. Then shave all the heads of the cast and dress them in replica England shirts. Make sure everyone is seen drinking Stella in the station mess.
Good idea. Get our revisionism in first :twisted:

They'd have to get rid of that Fry bloke and put Grant Morrison and Mark Millar on the case as this is Big Dave territory. Of course, to keep a bit historical accuracy, Big Dave would have to switch from footy to rugger, but that would allow for a scene where the ac gets hit before dropping the bomb, crash lands in the valley, crew gets out and Big Dave drop kicks the bomb between the posts (gun towers) - then they all run like crazy when the dam breaches.

We could up-gun Barnes Wallace (or Barnsey) as well, a la Terry Waite:
Official, Ministry of Aircraft Production: You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. They're worth their weight in gold. Do you really think the authorities will lend you one? What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington?
Barnes Wallace: Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that might help? Or you could just tell them I know where they live and will be round to kick their heads in, if I don't get one.

walt_of_the_walts said:
jagman said:
jimnicebutdim said:
Maninthestreet said:

It probably is a bit extreme but it bothers me not :D
Its a remake of a historical movie, editing the details to make it PC makes the movie historically wrong.
Its for the same reason I have gone to great lengths not to watch films like U571.

B

blindfire

This time round though it will undoudtedly be US planes with US crews and some Yank will have invented the bouncing bomb :D :D

walt_of_the_walts said:
jagman said:
jimnicebutdim said:
Maninthestreet said:

My bold - shouldn't that be Carling Black Label? Then they could avoid all this remake stuff and just show the TV advert.

Mr Jackson and his pals were spotted looking at the running (not flying) Lanc at East Kirkby aerodrome (Lincs Aviation Heritage Centre) last year by myself, my mate and his two dogs, my mate just lived around the corner in West Keal, it was all very hush, hush and we were not allowed to get near or ask questions. We never had the heart to shout "Hey one of those engines is actually off a Hurricane mate!" The plane is used to taxi up and down the runway and nothing else, none of the enignes appear to be matched with each other etc - sounds the part the though!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
blindfire said:
This time round though it will undoudtedly be US planes with US crews and some Yank will have invented the bouncing bomb :D :D
Seems unlikely as its being produced by a kiwi and written by a Brit but if Yank bashing gives you a hard on who am I to knock it. Looks a bit chippy but...

I say let the name "n***er" stand. It's what the dog was called. The original 1955 movie was played here in the States last month on the Turner Classic Movie channel with the name intact and the sky didn't fall down. F*ck the PC police.

FFS, lets not go down the route of talking about a fcuking dog again.

The latest is that it's in production down in New Zealand:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/entertainment/2383809/Takeoff-looms/

As an aside, I think a post on a discussion forum I stumbled across is a contender for the most bone thing ever said on the internet:

Hope he sticks to the facts too. But hey, he did a good job with King Kong, so there's hope.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/new-dambusters-film-remake-peter-jackson-18387.html

(Don't worry, it was said by a seppo. :D )