Dam Busters remake - send SITREP: over

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BuggerAll, May 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Does anyone know what is going on with he Peter Jackson Remake of the Dam Busters? Google doesn't seem to know...
  2. Thats because its spelt 'Dam Busters' anyway i found this on wikipedia, after a google search ;)

Work on a remake of Dambusters, produced by Peter Jackson and directed by first time director Christian Rivers, is in production in 2008. Jackson has said in the mid-1990s he became interested in remaking the 1954 film, but found that the rights had been bought by Mel Gibson. In 2004, Jackson was contacted by his agent, who said Gibson had dropped the rights. Stephen Fry is writing the script of the film.[5] It will be distributed by Universal Pictures and StudioCanal.[6] Filming will commence in early 2009, on a budget of 40 million United States dollars."

So it seems if its being made its currently being filmed this year.
  3. At least one of the Chinese-built Lancaster mockups was aired in NZ a couple of weeks ago, to test some of the camera equipment - Flypast's Historic forum and Pprune's Hysteria and Neuralgia board have some details.

You may wish to know that anyone involved in the production is sworn to secrecy, on pain of having any contracts terminated. Hence the apparent lack of info.

BTW, it's spelled 'Dam'.

4. BuggerAll

Damn, my mong spelling comes back to tease me - you'll notice I've edited my original post.
  5. BuggerAll

Just bringing the correct spelling to the head of the queue.
  6. Its really simple, if they don't call the dog Nigger in the movie I won't watch it.
    History should not be censored by political correctness
  7. BuggerAll

Stephen Fry is doing the script so I don't think he is a man to be bullied over sensitive PC Nazis. I do remember them saying that there may be an intro to the film to discuss this and other issues such as the destruction of the Rhure valley - to put it in it's historic context.
  8. That's a bit extreme, isn't it? The film isn't about a dog, it's about the Dam buster raids. I don't think any black labradors dropped bouncing bombs on the ruhr.

Ans since when has historical accuracy been important to Hollywood?

Here's my solution. Change the dog from a labrador to a pit bull and call it Tyson. Then shave all the heads of the cast and dress them in replica England shirts. Make sure everyone is seen drinking Stella in the station mess.
  9. I heard the film is to be shot on location at RAF Scampton (I believe the original was too aswell as Hemswell Cliff just down the road). I also believe that Sir David Frost owns the rights to the film. I think there is a newspaper article about it on the wall in the Dam Busters pub in Scampton town. I wonder if this is why they were looking to move the Reds to Waddington?
    Nigger was dubbed as trigger for the US release of the original too, of course it had different connotations in the UK to the US back then.
  10. Good idea. Get our revisionism in first :twisted:

They'd have to get rid of that Fry bloke and put Grant Morrison and Mark Millar on the case as this is Big Dave territory. Of course, to keep a bit historical accuracy, Big Dave would have to switch from footy to rugger, but that would allow for a scene where the ac gets hit before dropping the bomb, crash lands in the valley, crew gets out and Big Dave drop kicks the bomb between the posts (gun towers) - then they all run like crazy when the dam breaches.

We could up-gun Barnes Wallace (or Barnsey) as well, a la Terry Waite:
    Official, Ministry of Aircraft Production: You say you need a Wellington Bomber for test drops. They're worth their weight in gold. Do you really think the authorities will lend you one? What possible argument could I put forward to get you a Wellington?
    Barnes Wallace: Well, if you told them I designed it, do you think that might help? Or you could just tell them I know where they live and will be round to kick their heads in, if I don't get one.
  11. It probably is a bit extreme but it bothers me not :D
    Its a remake of a historical movie, editing the details to make it PC makes the movie historically wrong.
    Its for the same reason I have gone to great lengths not to watch films like U571.
  12. This time round though it will undoudtedly be US planes with US crews and some Yank will have invented the bouncing bomb :D :D