Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was on my way home from Boys Brigade night when I heard two women at the bus stop talking about it.
I'm seeing Les Dawson and Roy Barraclough, and hearing Stanley Baxter and Billy Connolly.

I was in Hong Kong in HMS Diana. Astern of us was USS Damato and I was chatting with their gangway sentry and mentioned JFK had been shot. The Officer of the Day was summonsed and they didn't know then, but may not have received the radio transmission as we had as it was quite early in the morning. Upshot was ensign hastily lowered to half mast and a "Now hear this!" on the tannoy. Sad day. :cool:

Within three weeks of Kennedy's assassination, on December 10th 1963, there was an attempted assassination and assassination which, although it passed virtually unnoticed internationally in comparison, had a greater effect on the British Forces that Kennedy's did.
It was the the grenade attack at Aden airport (RAF Khormaksar) on Sir Trevelyan Trevaskis, the governor of Aden and which killed his assistant, George Henderson. GM & bar.
It marked the start of violence into Aden colony and the Emergency which continued for the next half decade

Edited for epic memory fail but also perhaps a Freudian one as the connection was more marked as the targets in both evens shared a common name.
It was of course, another Kennedy; Sir Kennedy Trevaskis who was the target of the Aden assassination.

Trevelyan was a later governor.

Last edited:
Ye shuda telt me loon, bit as fur as yur tatties, neeps an haggis ur hingin, ye cin shuv rem where ra sun disnae shine.

Ach awa min food o the gods at es canna get at in Dallas jist tae get the thread name in

Ach awa min food o the gods at es canna get at in Dallas jist tae get the thread name in
Cannae argue with it being the food of the Gods, I was concerned with the more common usage of the last four words of #60. ;)
Told this elsewhere, but worth a rerun. A Scot had been picking up The Haggi for the annual Burns Supper for years, at somewhere State side. This particular year, nothing. After a few trips and 25 Jan fast approaching, he starts getting a little bit frustrated, so starts becoming a tad more pushy with his questions. Where is it, why isn't it here yet? He suspects he's being given the run around, but persists. Eventually he's given the answer. It's not allowed to enter the country anymore, as it's a meat product. He'd been collecting it for the last 25 years because they thought haggis was a vegetable!! This may, or may not, have been Dallas. ;)

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Teg61

Old-Salt
I was 13 having a Barium meal examination
Had already had that. I was born with pyloric stenosis, so basically couldn’t get any food from my stomach to my gut. Had an operation in the same hospital you were in when I was only a few weeks old. Never had a problem with food again.

Had already had that. I was born with pyloric stenosis, so basically couldn’t get any food from my stomach to my gut. Had an operation in the same hospital you were in when I was only a few weeks old. Never had a problem with food again.

Small world isn't it

I was in Hong Kong in HMS Diana. Astern of us was USS Damato and I was chatting with their gangway sentry and mentioned JFK had been shot. The Officer of the Day was summonsed and they didn't know then, but may not have received the radio transmission as we had as it was quite early in the morning. Upshot was ensign hastily lowered to half mast and a "Now hear this!" on the tannoy. Sad day. :cool:
Hope they didn't work out you gave them the news before the shooting, PO Oswald

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
What would JFK's legacy had been if he hadn't died on that tragic , November day , in the warm Texas sunshine ?

Would he have been the one that dragged the US into the Viet Nam war , not Johnson, and copped the flak accordingly ?

Robert McNamara - US Defense Secretary 1961-68 laid much emphasis on a Secret report into US involvement in Vietnam dated January 1965 by himself and McGeorge Bundy, National Security Adviser to both Kennedy and Johnson .

It's referred to as the 'Fork in The Road' memo. It was de-classified in 1977.

here y'go:

As I understand it ( and others will doubtless correct me) it was Kennedy who took the initiative to ramp up the initial US presence in South East Asia. @chippymick 's view would have been useful here.

The 'Fork in the Road' memo simply outlined the two viable alternatives for US policy - to engage further - or pull out.

There's an interview with Bundy here : - Interviewer questions are bit faint, but Bundy is clear enough.

( The coup referred to was the removal of President Diem ( and his subsequent death) )

Attachments

• orig_441141637351_149763[1].jpg
    orig_441141637351_149763[1].jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 9

Latest Threads