LE
Daimler Scout Car Mk111- Daimler Dingo (4) (Custom).jpg

Daimler Scout Car Mk111- Daimler Dingo (5) (Custom).jpg

Daimler Scout Car Mk111- Daimler Dingo (6) (Custom).jpg

daz

LE
Daimler Scout Car Mk111- Daimler Dingo (7) (Custom).jpg

Daimler Scout Car Mk111- Daimler Dingo (8) (Custom).jpg

I was just about to say that this was yet another example of a vehicle restorer putting whatever markings he liked on a vehicle, regardless of the type actually being used by the unit. During the latter part of WW2 15 (Scottish) Recce Regt had primarily Humber Armoured Cars (changing to Daimler Armoured Cars in 1945) and Humber Light Recce Cars, but no Daimler Scout Cars. However... Having had a second look at the strength-returns, 15 (Scottish) Div did have 22 Daimler Scout Cars on strength just after the end of the war and some or all of these MAY have been used by the Div Recce Regt, so I'll give him a partial pass (but I expect to see squadron signs painted on by next parade)...

Needs one of these;

Attachments

What was the story behind Daimler,a German company, lending its name to a British armoured car? Was it being built under licence by Humber or somesuch?

What was the story behind Daimler,a German company, lending its name to a British armoured car? Was it being built under licence by Humber or somesuch?
I believe that it was a British company that had purchased the name of Daimler, and was owned by BSA at the time so there were no problems.

OllieReeder

War Hero
No different really from all the Fords built and used by the Axis powers. The reason that the Romanians were able to keep captured Sov T-60 light tanks going, and indeed rebuilt them as TACAM tank destroyers, was that the T-60 used GAZ truck engines and components, GAZ was simply Stalinised Ford, and the Romanian truck industry was pretty much limited to a Ford franchise. The Romanians captured plenty of better Soviet and Lend-Lease AFVs than the nasty old T-60, but they did not have the wherewithal to sustain them.

I wish I could remember the details, but there are examples of Allied companies paying royalties to German parent-companies and vice versa, using neutral countries as intermediaries.

Latest Threads