Daily Telegraph letter from Admiral Lambert Saturday 26.9.09

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by seaweed, Sep 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I don't see a thread on this so thought I would put this on:
    (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/6231587/The-insensitivity-of-MPs-in-the-light-of-poorly-equipped-troops-in-Afghanistan.html)

"SIR – I must respond to the suggestion in your report ("Armour so poor troops couldn't wear it", September 25) that our troops are being "sent to the slaughter" because they are not getting the protection they require.

"The top priority of the Ministry of Defence has always been to provide the best equipment for our people in Afghanistan. Service personnel do not have to "moonlight" to buy their own kit.

"Every single soldier, sailor and airmen who deploys to theatre is issued with a helmet and body armour, as well as a black bag, valued at £3,500, that contains all the other personal equipment they require – boots, clothing, goggles, sunglasses and ear protectors.

"To say that vital equipment is not reaching the front line ignores the fact that over the last three years, we have delivered equipment worth £10 billion.

"Our commanders have a variety of helicopters, protected patrol vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles and other key equipment at their disposal.

Vice Admiral Paul Lambert
    Deputy Chief of the Defence Staff (Capability)
    London SW1"

So that's all right then.

2. "Our commanders have a variety of helicopters, protected patrol vehicles, unmanned aerial vehicles and other key equipment at their disposal. "

Can ayone see the word "sufficient"?

3. That's one hell of an expensive bag...

4. Hmmmmm… nothing about it neccessarily being the best kit I note.

5. Wow, that's some black bag. Mine's rubbis and not worth more than £20.

6. That's because "best" is not "best value for money", which is what the Government says it buys.

7. Indeed; for 'best value for money' often read 'cheapest'.

8. The RN STILL have Admirals?!!! 8O are there enough 'boats' to make up a Fleet?

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I wonder if there's another Admiral's job up for grabs somewhere . . . .

10. I think this admiral is just trying to grease line up his next promotion- what a self serving c**t.

11. So exactly what are you saying Slick - that Osprey is not up to scratch?

Or are you just wittering again :roll:

12. Your not in the MOD, are you doley?

Please tell us of your first hand experience of MOD kit these days?

13. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

This is in response to the telegraph article saying that soldiers were moonlighting to pay for kit and chrimbo presents and that it was partly their comments that caused the civil servant to leak the expenses papers. As Bravo_Baravo points out, nowhere does he say "sufficient" and nowhere does he say that soldiers don't have to moonlight to pay for christmas and other basics.

Lambert's a good bloke, defending his patch, probably under political instruction (he may have agreed to the letter but I bet he didn't actually write it).

14. He said "often" not "always". Keep spinning Whet, one day you'll get it right.

15. You answer first Slick - are you saying it is rubbish? Come on justify your post.