Daily Mirror - The forces paper------->NOT

Well thats just spoiled what started off a good day for me how can this so called hack write such clap trap and get it printed? oh! thats right he has freedom of speech obtained on the back of the lives lost and injuries sustained by our lads and lasses in the forces. I think Mr Routledge is either very anti millitary (probably a member of CND in the 80s) or had a bad experience in the cubs as a kid and doesnt like people in uniform.
For him to spout this rubbish. :frustrated:

Love this one

Why should an injury suffered in Basra count for more than one suffered in Birmingham?
Because the government of the day, one that I presume from the quotes in the previous paragraphs of this tripe that he supports whole heartedly, sent these young men and women into harms way as a matter of policy on behalf of and for the benefit of the nation.

Tripping over a paving slab in Birmingham and getting shot or blown up in Basra have absolutely no moral equivalent

And this one

We have a volunteer army. There are no conscripts. These men and women choose to place themselves in the line of conflict.

It is a good thing that they do, but I question whether that gives them superior rights to Mrs Smith in South Elmsall
I don't think 'we' are attempting to claim superior rights just the ordinary everyday rights of a British citizen would do for a start, the right to live in accomodation of a decent standard or the right to at least get a fair crack of the whip as far as social housing goes on discharge would be fine thanks.

zippy483 said:
Love this one

Why should an injury suffered in Basra count for more than one suffered in Birmingham?
Because the government of the day, one that I presume from the quotes in the previous paragraphs of this tripe that he supports whole heartedly, sent these young men and women into harms way as a matter of policy on behalf of and for the benefit of the nation.

Tripping over a paving slab in Birmingham and getting shot or blown up in Basra have absolutely no moral equivalent
But to be fair, there are probably more fundamentalists in Sparkhill than Basra

BITE THE BULLET, SOLDIER
Paul Routledge 23/03/2007

* More Paul Routledge

THE Conservatives are planning a squaddiefriendly election manifesto in the hope of stealing the servicemen's vote from Labour. They've got a cheek. Perhaps two, even.

This government has just bribed soldiers with a nine per cent-plus pay rise - two or three times the rate of inflation - depending on which index you believe.

And Tony Blair has taken our country to more wars than any Labour premier in history. He's in favour of full employment - for the armed forces, at any rate.
Advertisement

Diddy Dave Cameron, who wouldn't know a rifle from a raffle, wants troops to jump the NHS queues and get instant treatment.

This shameless bid for 200,000 votes is mounted on the back of service families' complaints about NHS hospitals.

The moans are all the louder because dedicated hospitals for the services are being phased out.

Squaddies must now rely on the health service (I presume that officers go private).

Well, welcome to the real world, corporal. That's what the rest of us have to put up with all the time. Why should an injury suffered in Basra count for more than one suffered in Birmingham?

We have a volunteer army. There are no conscripts. These men and women choose to place themselves in the line of conflict.

It is a good thing that they do, but I question whether that gives them superior rights to Mrs Smith in South Elmsall.

The brass hats in Whitehall, and retired Colonel Blimps aplenty, are loud in their demands for preferential treatment in every conceivable context, from taxpayers' money to luxury accommodation.

A bit of humility might come in handy.
What an amusing piece of journalism - Guess the Mirror is off the reading list now too, best i start reading the broadsheets then!

Im sure that twat is not with the NHS...No doubt he goes private along with remainder of his colleges from the Daily Crap. Im sure if the truth was known he has not had major scope for awhile so this one way of getting some attention for 10mins of his rather dull life....long live the SUN..

What an absolute fcuk wit he should spend a 6 month tour in Basra as top cover and then see how he feels and if he gets shin splints or something else that needs long term treatment see how long he has to go without treatment and still be expected to do normal work like vehicle maintenance. Prick

wet_blobby said:
has this cnut got a e-mail address so we can express our views to him?
Im infavour of this idea so here are a few email adresses from the web page of the Morror paper

For comments and questions about Mirror.co.uk email feedback@mirror.co.uk

Queries about competitions, reader offers or back issues email cservices@mgn.co.uk

To have your say about a story email mailbox@mirror.co.uk

Wonder howmany they could get before they apologise

I will personaly pay for this mans ticket into Iraq or Afgan not to return until a tour completed. deliver him to me , I swear that I will sacrificed my ticket to FI to have that happen.

WW

B

Biscuits_AB

Ever thought that your agressive responses may be what he was after? Little bit of 'provocation'? I'll bet he's read this thread to see what sort of reaction he's had.

The Daily Mirror? They've not been the 'Forces fave' since that clown in the TA staged those photos and they're not exactly 'true blues' now are they. Reading what he says though, I'll bet that the same comments have been made elsewhere. I have no doubt whatsoever that the nurses whined like f*ck when they saw the payrise that the Forces were getting in relation to what they got. They just didn't have the balls to shout about it as they would have been pilloried. I'll bet they were loud enough behind closed doors though. Don't for one minute think that the Forces have the support of everyone in the country.

This is just another piece of 'political journalism' intent upon causing damage to Cameron (who's a c*nt anyway) amongst people who wouldn't vote for Cameron anyway (the Daily Mirror readership), so who gives toss what this man has to say. It's not as if he's had it published in a quality paper now is it?

Anyone disagree that Cameron isn't after an extra 200,000 votes? He's got himself straight on the back of the 'look at what they've done to the Forces' bandwagon. Don't kid yourselves on. He hasn't done it for you. He's done it for himself. He's no different from the c*nt who caused all of this sh*te. He and Bliar were once described as being 'two cheeks of the same arrse'. Very accurate. All they've done for me is confirm the belief I have always held that the leader of any Government in this country should have prior military service. If Blair had served, we might not have ended up in the sh*te state we are in now.

I wouldn't worry about what this fella has written. It'll be recycled waste tomorrow.

Kill the thread. Don't give him the satisfaction.

I know it'll be a chip wrapper tomorrow, but couldn't stop myself sending this to the Mirror mailbox, (and thanks to other threaders for some of the comments).

"Dear Sir/Madam
Cheap shot, Paul Routledge (Bite the Bullet, Soldier, 23 Mar 07). Blair sent the military into harm's way and the young men and women who form part of the most professional armed forces in the world just got on with it, setting about the task with admirable courage and total commitment. To expect decent health treatment and a good standard of housing in return is not unreasonable. Mr Routledge owes the military an apology - perhaps given from the top cover position of a patrol vehicle driving through Basra. He may wish to bring a change of trousers with him. I also expect that sales of your newspaper on military outlets may reduce dramatically, as a result of this article. Never mind, there's only 200,000 of us!"

Staaken

Good point Biscuits..it was his personal opinion and he as said..who takes much notice of the Mirror anyway,.its a paper for a piece on entertainment...not news.

I always thought the reason the Forces dont get the backing from the Government, is because they are the exact opposite type of people who would join to begin with. Bliar/ Cameron/Brown, despite being politicians, would never have joined the Forces.

There are a few exeptions of ex army MPs, Iain Dunan Smith being one.

Let Routledge remain a sadly uneducated man.

Please do not start any 'campaigns' in this direction. The only result a 'campaign' will have, is to give him more ammunition to have a pop at the Forces with.

By all means, write politely seeking to point out the errors of his piece in a constructive manner, that brings credit on you , but do not pander to prior prejudices or confirm the worst caricatures.

Thread edited.

PTP

Considering that many raw recruits into the British Army come from communities previously described as "working class," the failure of a Labour Govt to look after it's own 10 years into its tenure, highlights how far this bunch of former stalinists have distanced themselves from their own natural supporters. Well done Paul for highlighting how immoral this Govt really is. I hope you accept the offer of a trip around Basra, you grade A a** h**e.