Daily Mail no more, which newspaper to read?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by PandaLOVE, Feb 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This may seem like a bone question. It is. But after reading the Daily Mail all my life I cannot bear to read its drivel any more. I force myself to read it because my Grandparents always read it each day and for me there is a personal connection. I even have dozens of Daily Mail jig-saws still in their original boxes, from WWII.

It it still a patriotic newspaper and often runs interesting stories about both of the two World wars. It is favourable in many ways regarding this.

But it's becoming nothing more than a celebrity following, gossip reporting shambles with very little news and pages upon pages of anti-Muslim, social anger inducing shite stirring. Mrs O2 has been 'instructed' not to buy it. I've had enough of Sienne Miller's love life over the past 3 years.

So, not wanting to read a high brow broad sheet, please tell me, which newspaper delivers basic news?
  2. Well, if you don't want "high brow" I'd recommend The Times! The "accessible" parts of the paper are actually written very much like the Sun - if you can bare reading Murdoch.

To be fair The Independant isn't overly high brow - not as pretentious as guardian/torygraph.

As for redtops? I have no idea - I've flicked through them occasionally and always found them to be pump.

O2thief, you've proved with your posts on arrse you have a reading age greater than 7 - so try a broadsheet
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Telegraph seems ok an I like the compact times but avoid paying for puppy litter liner and pick them up on the train if I can!
  4. I've taken the Times for years; the Independent is a reasonable read, the format is different to the Times, just what you are used to I suppose.
  5. Used to read the Mail, and would agree, not enough real news. I have not the slightest interest in the goings on of the "WAGS" etc. Prefer the Telegraph now. Only problem is the size....wish they'd follow the times lead and drop to tabliod size from broadsheet.
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I only read The Mail, and only on Saturday and Sunday because they are the only days I have time to read them. Even though it doesn't take long because the newspaper as a concept is dead in these days of Internet and 24-hour news TV.

At least at the core of the content, it makes sense even if it is full of celebrity drivel. At least I am not reading - sorry, quickly skimming over - celebrity drivel by somebody with his head up his Arrse.

The newspaper is dead. Long live the (whatever replaces it)!
  7. Ditto! I always end up looking a bit of a mong as I fight to get the paper into reasonable reading size... :oops:
  8. Internet?!
  9. Spot on mate. Being partially sighted I can't be arrsed to read a newspaper with the aid of a magnifying glass, so check out a heap of newspapers on the internet, from the local paper, through the dailies, to the 'Bulawayo Morning Mirror' for news from the old kraal.
  10. Financial Times. Fortunes depend on their reporting , it tends to be as accurate as their existing information allows, with no discernable editorial slant.
  11. And not having to buy any UK newspapers which is pretty difficult here in this part of NL.

And as those that type the online versions are only human or in the case of the news of the screw sub-human, where where else would you learn that Ronaldo might be given a five year TWENTY-SIX QUID deal?
  12. As I think I've said before, the FT domestic and international news sections were required daily reading for my degree course. I still read it to this day (free at work) and buy the Torygraph for expanded news stories and other articles.
  13. Poor man! Maybe we should fund-raise... :D
  14. Somebody needs to look for those missing zeros.
  15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Standing by entirely for incoming, but have you considered the Guardian?

I take that, The Scotsman and The Telegraph but I find the Grauniad to be the best written and most thought-provoking.