Daily Mail......Navy Hero??

There is already a thread on this in the int cell, guess it would probably end up here either way.

Yay, let's harass an old man and force him to justify himself to some internet crusaders. Yay!
Did you read the article? Seeing as its in a newspaper id say its worth a mention, especially the singapore to malay then somehow to vietnam bit.

Yay, let's harass an old man and force him to justify himself to some internet crusaders. Yay!
Interesting to see the bullet.
Full metal jackets don't deform at all when hitting flesh then?

M

Mr_Tigger

Did you read the article? Seeing as its in a newspaper id say its worth a mention, especially the singapore to malay then somehow to vietnam bit.
Yes, I have done. If we fired up the bus every time there we inconsistency and/or sensationaism in a military related story in the Daily Mail no one would ever find time to eat or sleep.

M

Mr_Tigger

I don't for a second believe that is the bullet. It probably ended up in a medical waste bin. Not such a good story without a few photos of it those is it? I have a cunning idea says jurno....

Yes, I have done. If we fired up the bus every time there we inconsistency and/or sensationaism in a military related story in the Daily Mail no one would ever find time to eat or sleep.
I agree, but i have alot of respect for those who served in Malaysia or Borneo, but is there a need to go further? When people do go further its almost taking away from what others have done. Then again, that's assuming that he didnt actually take part in Vietnam and Cambodian ops. If he has done id like to hear more about it, sounds pretty interesting.

M

Mr_Tigger

Of course I'd like to hear the war story. It is the tiresome walt hunting about which I was was registering my displeasure.

I saw a local story and he was interviewed saying the same things the dailymail says.

My first thought upon seeing it was that the bullet was surprisingly pristine and didn't look to have rifling marks, but who knows it may not be the original one.

"this is a bullet just like the one removed" isn't half as good a talking point as "this is the very bullet dug out of me"

However, Robert reckons the rogue bullet may have been fired into his groin during a top-secret raid into Vietnam in 1971, when he was just 22.
Sounds legit to me.

As for the story, it seems to have all the hallmarks of a classic walt adventure.

It does have the normal walty ring of it where all the units he served with were not his own so nobody will ever be able to disprove his story. Moved here and there because of injuries or whatever, working with army and RAF (but no navy), working with foreign units, working on hush hush ops with SF, all that. The dog tags are cheesy and clearly non-issue and the bullet looks in quite good nick for something which was once fired and then spent 40 years inside somebody. And the DSM seems to be unaccounted for.

I'm not calling walt or nowalt, it's not for me to decide. But there do seem to be many of the right ingredients to cook up the ARRSE Favourite Walt Pie.

Can anyone throw any light on his other gongs? The GSM looks legit though I'd be interested in seeing what the Bars are, Borneo and Malay Peninsula being the likely suspects. The DSM is correct even if it's not his, but the other two are odd, maybe some of those "Commemorative" ones you can buy in Soldier mag.? The story is bollocks of course, I'll happily call Walt on that alone!