Daily Mail listed as being a bit flaky in the quality of its news..... Duh!

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Daily Mail demands browser warning U-turn

The add-on to Edge, News Guard pops up a warning when you visit the DM about it being a bit dodgy in terms of article integrity.

We all knew this, but it's the paper of those who love to hate (even if only occasionally) and why should we let 'journalistic integrity' get in the way of a good moan?

I believe News Guard is to blame. Back in my day.... Came to this country to steal our journalistic integrity... Have you seen the price of a pint now... Probably all foreign...:D

I've seen this type of extension elsewhere, I always wondered how open it was to abuse but it looks like it's bang on target with this one!

The MiL used to get the DM delivered every day until the wife pointed out the social stigma associated with it. :D

It's just so much clickbait now. So where does everyone go for their actual proper news? Al Jazeera uses to be top notch but has gone a bit government mouth piece now.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Microsoft warning of dodgy news!
How quaint.
In fairness, it's a third party extension and they've referred all queries to the developers of NewsGuard.

We all know MS are saints ...

Funny how the 'Fake News' warning seems to be applied only to right of centre news sources.
Re. my news, I get the basics from the BBC and from the 'i' newspaper, and try to read around subjects of interest if other sources cover them. I get the Telegraph on a Sat but there is something unsatisfactory about reading a newspaper when you agree with everything it says. The 'i' is left of centre so exposes me to opinions I would not otherwise read.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Presumably it does the same if you visit Wikipaedia or Snopes, both with dubious journalistic integrity for different reasons
Oooh. I want to try it on Wikipedia but that's not so much journalism as shite. ****, our ARRSEpedia is more reliable. :D

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I get the Telegraph on a Sat but there is something unsatisfactory about reading a newspaper when you agree with everything it says.
Hahaha, I'll be claiming that for use in polite company if you don't mind.

The irony is that MS used all sorts of underhand tactics when they had a monopoly, now they've lost that they've gone all cuddly and embraced open source, web standards etc

Google, Apple and Amazon are far worse these days

Still if Microsoft gets a monopoly position again I'm in no doubt they'll revert to form

Anyway Mail is an interesting news-source. If it reports about something important then frequently the report is correct with a lot of details.
Yes it is not 100% trusworthly but one can an ability to use alternative sources to check information.
Btw, have anybody here an example of rude falsehood or forgery by DM in the context of really important issue.
I don't mean life of celebrities of course but politics.

I like the Dail Wail. It makes me laugh.

To add some balance, so does the Opinion section of the Grauniad -- until I realise that the "journalists" are being serious.

Steven Brill and Gordon Crovitz, and rates sites based on a variety of criteria including their use of deceptive headlines, whether they repeatedly publish false content, and transparency regarding ownership and financing.
I wonder what they say about The Guardian using an offshore trust to avoid tax whilst habitually writing articles accusing multinationals of tax avoidance and using offshore tax structures to avoid tax, with regards to transparency regarding ownership and financing

The DM is of use for confirming/denying the perp of whatever went off on a given day was an enriching sort as they will print uncensored pics/ ''alleged' names about a day before the rest. Other that it's dross.

Anywho, the only language they understand is far too good for them. In a handcart!

Clickbait (pic related) and celeb shite.

In fairness, they don't have a pay wall but their shitty intrusive ads are getting past my blockers now.

I use Sky news as a quick rundown, then followup the non-PC stories on twitter

1548269587457.png

Funny how the 'Fake News' warning seems to be applied only to right of centre news sources.
Re. my news, I get the basics from the BBC and from the 'i' newspaper, and try to read around subjects of interest if other sources cover them. I get the Telegraph on a Sat but there is something unsatisfactory about reading a newspaper when you agree with everything it says. The 'i' is left of centre so exposes me to opinions I would not otherwise read.
Did you actually read the article? The BBC was very careful in its list of "other sites" to include one of right-wing nutjobs, one of left-wing loonies and one of Putinbots.

I do agree with your basic principle of reading a 'challenging paper' - I generally use the Telegraph and Guardian for my news - both are renowned for journalistic integrity (if not grammar in the latter's case) but also for putting an editorial slant on things, that way I get both the slightly-right and slightly-left view on things.

Did you actually read the article? The BBC was very careful in its list of "other sites" to include one of right-wing nutjobs, one of left-wing loonies and one of Putinbots.

I do agree with your basic principle of reading a 'challenging paper' - I generally use the Telegraph and Guardian for my news - both are renowned for journalistic integrity (if not grammar in the latter's case) but also for putting an editorial slant on things, that way I get both the slightly-right and slightly-left view on things.
I wouldn't describe the Gruan as having journalistic integrity. I regularly quote purely on the basis if they are prepared to admit facts it saves time on leftist wah about other sources.

Bear in mind they had to issue appology for deliberately covering up the NYE Koln sexual assaults knowingly and deliberately. Integrity? Nah.