Daily Mail Article 17/08/2007

City banker swaps desk for frontline in Afghanistan as TA takes on the Taliban

A group of London professionals are fighting the Taliban on the frontline in the most dangerous corner of Afghanistan.

Territorial Army troops sent to guard the main British base have found themselves in the notorious "Green Zone" in Helmand province.
Continues here...

I've posted a reply to the so called doctor, we'll just wait and see if it can get past the mails internet nazis.

I'm sure they are nazis all the time, but they no doubt have a special SS branch that deal with internet rants like mine.

For publican Jon Hill, 36, attached to the same regiment, battles are familiar. He has served in Iraq three times and was mentioned in dispatches. "It's much more intense," he said. "In Iraq I was involved in a few firefights, but here people are doing that sort of thing every day."
4 Op Tours in 4 years? That's what I call hard core...

msr

Interesting comments from the ill-informed. The TA's remit was never to go,and fight in this type of conflict,rather to supplement the Regular Army in Europe,and Home postings.
This in turn would allow the regular to be released from the mundane jobs like public duties,exercises,etc. to do the job he,was trained to do,which is fight!

Before you start giving me a hard time,go and find a copy of the Territorial Army covenant,read it,understand it,then think about when the TA started to be deployed,into these sort of areas,and blame the Liabour government,who have consistently undermined our Armed Forces,and continue to do so.

The doctor is a bit misguided but,has a valid point!

Do you have a link to this covenant of which you speak?

msr

RoofRat said:
Interesting comments from the ill-informed. The TA's remit was never to go,and fight in this type of conflict,rather to supplement the Regular Army in Europe,and Home postings.
This in turn would allow the regular to be released from the mundane jobs like public duties,exercises,etc. to do the job he,was trained to do,which is fight!

Before you start giving me a hard time,go and find a copy of the Territorial Army covenant,read it,understand it,then think about when the TA started to be deployed,into these sort of areas,and blame the Liabour government,who have consistently undermined our Armed Forces,and continue to do so.

Gosh you do know lots. :roll:

The_Duke

LE
RoofRat said:

Oh good, another Cold War warrior!

Bollox, have a good read at the 'misguided' doctors comments and tell me he's either:
a. Misguided
b. Ill-educated
c. Talking complete P!sh

Doctors comments:

"What has it come to when the British Army has to rely on 'conscripted' bankers to fight its battles of agression (as opposed to battles of defence such as WW2)."

He's a muppet, a brush that I'd probably tar you with too.

The Daily Mail is a total, complete and utter piece of sh!t.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
msr said:
For publican Jon Hill, 36, attached to the same regiment, battles are familiar. He has served in Iraq three times and was mentioned in dispatches. "It's much more intense," he said. "In Iraq I was involved in a few firefights, but here people are doing that sort of thing every day."
4 Op Tours in 4 years? That's what I call hard core...

msr
Certainly possible. My battalion has sent a formed unit every year on operations since 2002, i think.
A platoon to Afghan in 2002/3
Same to Iraq 2003/4
Coy unit to Iraq 2005
Plt to Afghan 2006
Coy in training to go to Afghan this year.

One fella in my plt has done each of those except the first one.

Do the other TA inf bn's have a similar record? serious question, not an attempt at a dig etc...

What valid point is it that Good Doctor has made?
The one that WW2 was a "defensive" battle? As im sure you could argue the toss over many conflicts as to which side is the agressor.

Oh dear,it's turned into a pissing contest earlier than usual!

Dilfor,no I don't,I'm just making an informed comment. Anonymous Sarcasm,thats a new one. :roll:

msr,try the Public Records Office at Kew,I dare say they have a copy,there was a time back in the 60's when you got a copy on joining,I wonder why that doesn't happen now???

devilish,the point was that the TA shouldn't,be there in the first place,and if you're going to resort to profanity then, I'm fcuk'd if I'm going to argue with you,you can tar me if you can catch me,but I used to do the BFT,in 10.5 mins in boots,not like the wimps today. :)

As for The_Duke,dont you have a go at us,you'll be the first one up against the wall when the revolution comes,comrade. :wink:

RoofRat said:
msr,try the Public Records Office at Kew,I dare say they have a copy,there was a time back in the 60's when you got a copy on joining,I wonder why that doesn't happen now???
I think the case for the prosecution is rested.

msr

Well if it's a p1ssing contest your after then 10.5 in boots is p!sh matey, I'd catch you in jig time, try 8.45 with boots! :D (I'd be lucky to do it in time for tea now to be honest). :wink:

TA has changed dramatically in the last 6 years, irrelevent of what was said in the 60's covenent. TA soldiers deploy. Why? Because they want to and volunteered to, simple really, isn't it?

RoofRat said:
Oh dear,it's turned into a pissing contest earlier than usual!

Dilfor,no I don't,I'm just making an informed comment. Anonymous Sarcasm,thats a new one. :roll:

devilish,the point was that the TA shouldn't,be there in the first place,and if you're going to resort to profanity then, I'm fcuk'd if I'm going to argue with you,you can tar me if you can catch me,but I used to do the BFT,in 10.5 mins in boots,not like the wimps today. :)

As for The_Duke,dont you have a go at us,you'll be the first one up against the wall when the revolution comes,comrade. :wink:
RoofRat

Perhaps the current TA are actually quite happy to have the opportunity to undertake worthwhile operational duties alongside Regular counterparts as the reserve of first choice rather than of last resort?

I presume from your post that you served in the TA at some time in the past?

If so, thank you for your contribution; I'm sure whatever you did was perfectly adequate; that was then, this is now; goodbye.

The_Duke said:
RoofRat said:

Oh good, another Cold War warrior!
Oh come on Duke, the Territorials are a reserve. How long are we supposed to rely on the reserve? Enduring operations need regular forces, anyone can quote the "MoD wants IRs" crap all they want if they buy into goverment cost saving spin