Daily Express - 7 June1944

I have a copy of this, broadsheet, and will be scanning it in the next day or two.

War Newspaper2.jpg

Will be 16 x A4ish scans.
Hopefully I won't F*** it up too badly, and they're readable.

Last edited:
1) Never mind that who was the page 3 girl with her baps not out?

2) Were the Tanks Tanks or were they Universal Carriers?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I remember a staircase in the Pegasus Museum lined with newspaper front pages. Like:

The Times: We Invade
The Telegraph: 250,000 Troops Ashore
The Sunderland Echo: Shop at Binns

To be fair, there was an invasion-related headline but it passed over my head at the sight of an advert for Binns. When I joined up, Binns occupied about all of several floors including basement of an entire block of Fawcett Street, and through an underpass, about 50% of all floors of the block on the other side of the street.

I went back in the late 90s and it was gone.

D

Deleted 60082

I remember a staircase in the Pegasus Museum lined with newspaper front pages. Like:

The Times: We Invade
The Telegraph: 250,000 Troops Ashore
The Sunderland Echo: Shop at Binns

To be fair, there was an invasion-related headline but it passed over my head at the sight of an advert for Binns. When I joined up, Binns occupied about all of several floors including basement of an entire block of Fawcett Street, and through an underpass, about 50% of all floors of the block on the other side of the street.

I went back in the late 90s and it was gone.
Priorities..life must go on!

Interesting that the Express has airbourne landings in the Channel Islands, but none at the locations in Normandy like Ouistram and Ste Maire Eglise.
Typical Express reporting or deliberate misinformation on behalf of the Allies?

Interesting that the Express has airbourne landings in the Channel Islands, but none at the locations in Normandy like Ouistram and Ste Maire Eglise.
Typical Express reporting or deliberate misinformation on behalf of the Allies?
It was only DDay +1. I would think that specific detail was hard to come by, even for Monty and Eisenhower.
My grandparents took the Express for years. It was a serious newspaper once.

It was only DDay +1. I would think that specific detail was hard to come by, even for Monty and Eisenhower.
My grandparents took the Express for years. It was a serious newspaper once.
Agreed, but it still dosen't answer the question. Either the Express were told the landing zones (obviously after they had taken place) and they got it wrong, or they made them up on a best guess scenario, or they were given the wrong locations to help with the misinformation.
I'm just curious as to which it was.

Agreed, but it still dosen't answer the question. Either the Express were told the landing zones (obviously after they had taken place) and they got it wrong, or they made them up on a best guess scenario, or they were given the wrong locations to help with the misinformation.
I'm just curious as to which it was.
I have a few histories 'indoors' about press 'co-operation', so will dry to dig it out for you.

Latest Threads