Daft questions about the TORNADO GR4!

#1
Hi there!

Not sure if I'm really allowed to use this site (being a civilian!) but I wonder if it'd be okay if I asked you guys in the know some what-might- seem-like ridiculous questions about the Tornado?

I'm a comics writer and my new story involves a Tornado being ordered to bomb the Castlerigg stone circle in Keswick. I've often watched them flying over this part of the Lake District but for the story I'm writing I need to know various specific technical jargon etc. so that the story is at least based on some kind of reality.

I thought I'd ask first if that was okay rather than you guys laughing me out of the water with my lame-arse questions!

Thanks in advance!

john
 
F

fozzy

Guest
#5
cavepunk said:
I'm a comics writer and my new story involves a Tornado being ordered to bomb the Castlerigg stone circle in Keswick.
john
Bombing stone circles? Doing a Quatermass followup?

"Huffity Puffity Ring stone round...."
 
#7
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Pity the Septics don't have the Tornado; you could do a comic piece on the levelling of Stonehenge!
They did actually look at the Tonka as a Wild Weasel replacement, but the "Buy American" lobby won out, by all accounts.
 
#9
The Lord Flasheart said:
SamCaine said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Pity the Septics don't have the Tornado; you could do a comic piece on the levelling of Stonehenge!
They did actually look at the Tonka as a Wild Weasel replacement, but the "Buy American" lobby won out, by all accounts.

Or maybe because it's crap?
Ah, you're awake, M'Lord! 8O
 
#10
I feel I should also point out that the Castlerigg stone circle is a Scheduled Ancient monument (No. 22565), and as such enjoys statutory protection under the terms of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. Any actions that would affect a SAM or its setting require Scheduled Monument Consent, obtained from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), who are advised by English Heritage.

So as long as whoever issued the orders has got the appropriate paperwork from EH and DCMS you can bomb with a clear conscience.
 
#11
Turret_Monster said:
I feel I should also point out that the Castlerigg stone circle is a Scheduled Ancient monument (No. 22565), and as such enjoys statutory protection under the terms of the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979. Any actions that would affect a SAM or its setting require Scheduled Monument Consent, obtained from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), who are advised by English Heritage.

So as long as whoever issued the orders has got the appropriate paperwork from EH and DCMS you can bomb with a clear conscience.
Eh :? :(
 
#12
Well now, if the Castlerigg stone circle is the target, then you must make sure that the old 'uns tell you all about that Most Secret fitting to the Tornado in years gone by of: Blue Circle Radar. 8O

If I was not also a taxpayer I would laugh.
 
#14
Sloppy Link said:
Blue Circle was fitted to the F3. It has no use in the GR4, different role.
True. But if one were working on a cunning plan to attack a stone circle then I can think of no piece of radar kit better suited to the task
 
#15
Sloppy Link said:
Blue Circle was fitted to the F3. It has no use in the GR4, different role.
Nah. F.2, they had Foxhunter working by the time of the F.3 and squadron service. Blue Circle was only for the prototypes, so that the (late) radar wouldn't hold up the whole development programme.

Foxhunter was just your basic, mid-1970s, HPRF/LPRF only, big sod-off, needs talking baggage to work it, radar. In other words, similar to the thing in the front of the F-14.

AIUI, GR.4 is still using the same terrain following radar as GR.1, which also makes it 1970s vintage, and suspiciously similar to the thing that went in the front of the F-111.
 
#16
Gravelbelly said:
GR.4 is still using the same terrain following radar as GR.1, which also makes it 1970s vintage, and suspiciously similar to the thing that went in the front of the F-111.
Imagine trusting technology to keep you 50' from the ground from an era that brought you the Allegro and Rolf Harris's 'Stylophone'!

Fcuk that, give me Lynx AFCS any day...................................hang on?!?!? 8O
 
#17
The Lord Flasheart said:
Gravelbelly said:
GR.4 is still using the same terrain following radar as GR.1, which also makes it 1970s vintage, and suspiciously similar to the thing that went in the front of the F-111.
Imagine trusting technology to keep you 50' from the ground from an era that brought you the Allegro and Rolf Harris's 'Stylophone'!
Scary was what one of our older trials engineers put up with in the 1960s, when Ferranti was making the TFR for the TSR.2 (aaaahhhhh).

They trialled it in a Buccaneer, which they hammered up and down the Highlands as they worked the bugs out of the system. Eventually, it was the full-on, blacked out rear cockpit, bloke in the front doing safety and unable to keep up with the kit anyway, test runs. So Drew described having to do all the training to sit in the back seat of a Bucc, so that the driver wouldn't have to work it all himself....

So, imagine doing the same thing with 1960s technology - valves, the Morris Minor, and Jimi Hendrix' guitar. Hold on, that sounds plausible... :)
 
#18
SamCaine said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Pity the Septics don't have the Tornado; you could do a comic piece on the levelling of Stonehenge!
They did actually look at the Tonka as a Wild Weasel replacement, but the "Buy American" lobby won out, by all accounts.
Apparently our German partners wouldn't supply the spares required.
 
#19
The Lord Flasheart said:
Gravelbelly said:
GR.4 is still using the same terrain following radar as GR.1, which also makes it 1970s vintage, and suspiciously similar to the thing that went in the front of the F-111.
Imagine trusting technology to keep you 50' from the ground from an era that brought you the Allegro and Rolf Harris's 'Stylophone'!

Fcuk that, give me Lynx AFCS any day...................................hang on?!?!? 8O
Have worked on both and lets just say i place my faith in Mr Ford's Transit Van :D