Daft Laws

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by batus_survivor, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7081038.stm

etc etc

My favourite is that the penalty for masturbation in Indonesia is beheading. Anyone told the Aussies in East Timor? Not that I'm accusing them of being wankers, honest <gets head down and awaits incoming>

Reminder to self - don't go to Indonesia without first easing springs.

2. Sarastro

Sarastro LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Don't mention the best one there:

Local city law in Chico, California, that detonating a nuclear device within city limits warrants a $500 fine.

3. Isn't there a bylaw in Chester that makes it lawful to kill a Welshman in Chester so long as You use a longbow?

4. It is Ilegal to impersonate a Chelsea Pensioner (too right)

So Private Golden had better stop walting by the time he reaches 65.

mind you he'll be lucky to reach 25, if the maroon machine get to him first.

5. Barsteward, I was just about to start this very thread after an email I just received.

The UK's top 10 most ridiculous British laws were listed as:

· 1. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament (27%)

· 2. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British king or queen's image upside-down (7%)

· 3. It is illegal for a woman to be topless in Liverpool except as a clerk in a tropical fish store (6%)

· 4. Eating mince pies on Christmas Day is banned (5%)

· 5. If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and requires the use of your toilet, you are required to let them enter (4%)

· 6. In the UK a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants, including in a policeman's helmet (4%)

· 7. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast automatically becomes the property of the King, and the tail of the Queen (3.5%)

· 8. It is illegal not to tell the tax man anything you do not want him to know, but legal not to tell him information you do not mind him knowing (3%)

· 9. It is illegal to enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour (3%)

· 10. It is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls of York, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow (2%)

False teeth

Other bizarre foreign laws voted by those polled included:

· In Ohio, it is illegal to get a fish drunk (9%)

· In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation (8%)

· A male doctor in Bahrain can only examine the genitals of a woman in the reflection of a mirror (7%)

· In Switzerland, a man may not relieve himself standing up after 10pm (6%)

· It is illegal to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle in Alabama (6%)

· In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on a Sunday could be jailed (6%)

· Women in Vermont must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth (6%)

· In Milan, it is a legal requirement to smile at all times, except during funerals or hospital visits (5%)

· In France, it is illegal to name a pig Napoleon (4%)

6. similar law in york isnt there? you can kill a scots man with a bow and arrow on a tuesday.

Its like in Portugal you can kill a child if the child prevents you from going to dinner.

editted: beat me to it Ozzy.

7. Ouch!!!!

Yeah, you can kill a Welshman in Chester, so long as you use a longbow, and have a sack of oats over your shoulder! I think you might have to be in a Church as well, but I might have dreamt that bit! (Not that I dream of killing Welshmen or anything!) :oops:

8. I do!

Not sure about the bag of oats or the church, but the Chester thing only applies after 2200 (the curfew time in Chester during a period of the middle ages).

Are high treason, piracy on the high seas and interception of the Royal Mail still capital offences?

9. someone just told me that pillaging coastal towns is still a capital offense. Anyone fancy putting it to the test?

10. It is illegal to have more than three people crossing Westminster Bridge as group (due to the Peasant's Revolt...it was London Bridge but when westmister bridge got built they moved it to that bridge!)

It is illegal to drive a gaggle of geese over London Bridge unless you have the Freedom of the City of London

In Belgium you are not allowed to hang washing on the line on a Sunday or at any lunchtime

11. Thats not a daft law if you ask me.....now wheres my fecking Longbow!!

12. To Scarborough :arrow:

We shall take my trusty longboat.

13. Same in Germany. Also illegal on a Bank Holiday.

14. Heard something about it being illegal for a women to drive a motor vehicle in South Carolina without a man walking ahead with a shotgun.

Could be bollox, I don't know