Dads Army

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by spike7451, Aug 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

On BBC2 tonight It's a night of the chosen episodes of the shows creators.
    Anyway,miss spike was asking why,even after nearly 40 years,it's still as funny now as it was in the 70's.
    It was said tonight that the chap's who played Frazer & Mr Godfrew survived the Somme although Mr Godfrey was injured three times.
    I suppose a lot of the cast fought in either or both wars & that,I think,adds a bit of realism.
    Whatever the reason,it's still f*cking funny Personally I think it's far funnier than the sh*te we get today!
    So chaps,why do you think it's so funny?
    Thanks chaps,
    Spike

2. Good setting well acted with an ageless script, you can see the jokes coming a mile off but that is it's endearing feature to me, also it has an inocence of a bygone age that todays 24hour society just doesn't understand like halfday wednesday's and such.

3. 3 words

Brilliant British Humour.

:D

4. harmless, funny and good old family entertainment, shame you can't say that about most of the stuff on telly nowadays ( my god I'm sounding like such and old fart!!)

Edited to say: Impressive to think that it finshed a year before I was born!

5. seen all the episodes countles times but it still has me in stitches.
    They don't make em like they used to!

6. Dads Army rocks. Always watch if it is on. Like Porridge.

7. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Aye, John Laurie and Arnold Ridley both fought at the Somme. Arthur Lowe, Clive Dunn and John Le Mesurier all fought in the Army in the second World War.

8. German Officer: Vat is your name?
    Captain Mainwaring: Don't tell him Pike!
    German Officer; Pike!!

9. 4 years as a POW for Clive Dunn

10. Great actors, perfectly delivered lines and repect for them knowing that they had worn the t-shirt along the way.

Fave scene was with Capt. Mannering, white paint, black paint!

A couple of the actors were born in the late 1800s!

11. Just sublime

12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

After reading that I'll never look at,well speechless.
    RIP Sir.
    Just shows that the backbone of Britian was men like him,sadly now a rarety in this day & age. :(

I love the film where Mannering is steering the steam tractor & crushed all the tents & kit.No matter how many times I see that film,I'm in stitches with laughter!
    Good stuff from the Beeb. (When the licence fee was worth paying!!!!Unlike the sh1te we get today)

13. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Agree with Spike
    Men like that are rare these days and he joined up again in '39 for another go !!

Exellant programe and films I can watch over and over and still find something to laugh at

Theres a speacial on BBC1 but it with Jonathon Ross so that might spoil it

Still kills an hour until A Bridge to Far