Dads Army

MTDs been cut right back,C1 training (of course you should turn up for training!,oh no no no we couldnt possibly pay you!).Now TA is no longer to use live rounds.We are all doomed!!!!!
Who do you think you are kidding da da da da 8O

"Don't tell him your name Pike!" :wink:

Raiding the Royal Armouries in Leeds for pikes, muskets, swords and all sorts of weaponry.....

I get this feeling of Deja vu.... I'm sure a similar thing happened back in the '70s under Callaghan and Denis Healey....... The only thing that hasn't happened yet is 'Cap in Hand going to the IMF for bail-out loans.....!'

uncle_vanya said:
Raiding the Royal Armouries in Leeds for pikes, muskets, swords and all sorts of weaponry.....

I get this feeling of Deja vu.... I'm sure a similar thing happened back in the '70s under Callaghan and Denis Healey....... The only thing that hasn't happened yet is 'Cap in Hand going to the IMF for bail-out loans.....!'
Yes, aren't we bailing them out with 11 billion squid of 'quantitative easing'? But neither Callaghan nor Healey were as pathetic or as ugly as Broon and his Darling.

Ideas for the future of the TA....Close the TA centres, get rid of pay and travel expenses. Instead you get to join for patriotism, issued a kit list which you purchase yourself at a surplus store, meet once a week at the local church hall/community centre to do a bit of drill. Once a year you get to go on a camp, issued a rifle and five rounds to practise marksmanship.....you think I`m joking, give it time....... :roll:

Next thing will be an initial issue of ammo for operational tours and after you have expended any, you will have to see the QM with visa card at the ready to buy more. God help the man with the Javelin!!!

Taffnp said:
Next thing will be an initial issue of ammo for operational tours and after you have expended any, you will have to see the QM with visa card at the ready to buy more. God help the man with the Javelin!!!
After he's thrown it he'll have to run over and get it back so he can re use it thus saving on expense :twisted:

Funny you should mention it, but my parent unit has just been given a new AO - all the way from Timothy White's to the Novelty Rock Emporium.

Pte Sponge must be rolling in his grave... (not a speaking part obviously)

What are you complaining about - the Home Guard's first uniform was an armband with LDV written on it. The TA are actually given real uniforms and webbing - you want to get paid as well?

Perhaps we could sell all the C95 and re-equip the TA with the old blue denims that the Home Guard were issued as their second uniform. Betcha it's stockpiled somewhere.

But please, before you nick Mum's best carving knife to tie to a broom handle, carry out the correct risk assessment and return it before Sunday lunch!

Live rounds? A friend doing basic with correctional lenses built into his respirator spent 10 live rounds firing into trap 5's target when he was in trap 6. He had no idea until a corporal intervened in a rather angry way.

My memory of basic is that we never had the chance to learn to use the SA80 properly. In fact I would say that the prep for the WHT and proper understanding of the rifle was rather poor.

slick said:
Ideas for the future of the TA....Close the TA centres, get rid of pay and travel expenses. Instead you get to join for patriotism, issued a kit list which you purchase yourself at a surplus store, meet once a week at the local church hall/community centre to do a bit of drill. Once a year you get to go on a camp, issued a rifle and five rounds to practise marksmanship.....you think I`m joking, give it time....... :roll:
I think you're on to something here. Maybe we could bring back the militia and the old style yeomanry. You get forcably conscripted for three years into the militia unless you can pay for a substitute. Yeomanries can be raised by private companies (as the gentry and real yeoman farmers are a rarity these days) imagine - The Tesco's volunteer horse (Guildford store troop) or the Bradford & Bingley Hussars (Cheltenham high street troop).
:roll:

HVM_Boy said:
So, is Bisley cancelled this year then?
What a stupid comment to make :roll: ......Bisley is still on and we've been practising hard using our sling straps as sling-shots and the gravel from the firing points as ammo (collecting it after we inspect fall of shot to save money of course) :D