Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First a confession I'm over 55 and overweight. But could i take the place of a young blade on sentry stag in the sand thus freeing a young un to do the bizz. More to the point how many of the overs [IE over50 and overweight] would be willing to do it bearing in mind the training required ie SA 80 whats that wheres me lmg /slr, and could those training us cope i doubt it. many years of scams in our memories. 12 years with 7rha maybe i could. This thread results from an evening talking bollox in a pub.
  2. Not all that long ago, [mid '80's] Maggie decided that there was a lot of talent not being used. So, she and her minister chappies invented the HSF [home service force] the idea being exactly what you suggest. That is us old farts could do instalation defence etc etc, to allow the young chaps to go orf and teach johnny foriegner a lesson or two....

Early 90's, Gorbies in the Kremlin, were all friends now, world a safer place etc etc, .............
    Yeep, bin the old bas####'s we dont need them anymore, ohh, how short sighted the bean-counters can be.

As a certain Mr Churchill once said [I think] 'if you want peace, prepare for war'
  3. I would join the HSF if it was reformed
  4. Nah thats to sensible for NuLabour they'd rather cut out the MOD Plod And guard service and hire it out to someone.
  5. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

In the 1970s I saw this attributed to three different Roman Caesars, Augustus, Julius and Vegetius. Why does the last sound like he is a green substitute for Marmite?
  6. The old guard, British Legion, ExServicemens clubs, ect are not wanted by this 5hitty government because they generate a strong community spirit.
    Plod and local councils are often offered help by amature organisations like 4x4 clubs, mountain walkers, cave searchers ect,
    The Government, councils and plod reject these offers because it is not professional, but the real reason is because there working systems are inflexable, and usually quite stupid..
  7. The quote is usually attributed to the military author Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus though it's a paraphrase of a quote the author made.
  8. Vegetius it was - I have my own L1A2 bayonet, freshly sharpened, (and they don't like it up 'em!), so where do I sign up?