Dad needs advice - Section Commanders Warning over PT

My son has just started his Phase 1 training and is in his second week. he has recieved a section commanders warning about his PT not being good enough, but has been told that he cannot partake in any extra training to get up to speed. I have talked to him about all you can do is give 100% and he seems to be coping with all other aspects such as drill, but could do with advice from those of you who have been there, I never did any military job! appreciate that a standard has to be achieved, but what else can i say to him to help him get over this hurdle - please be blunt, truth might hurt but its what i need to hear

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Tell him to do press ups, sit ups etc in spare time. Go for a run instead to the Naafi in the evenings. Best thing though is as you say - give 100%...

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not a lot unfortunately. Training is pretty intense, which is why they won't let him do more. He'd just overtrain/get injured. The time for doing that extra PT was six months ago.

If he's got anything more to give, then now's the time to pull it out of the bag. If he hasn't, then he'll be what's called backsquadded. Given more time to train up to standard, that is. Disappointing for the recruit, I'm sure - but not the end of the world.

The only thing I can think of that might help a bit is eating - I'm not sure about now, but missed meals used to be a regular thing and most people lost a lot of weight in training. Try not to let it happen. Eat as much as possible to keep the old energy up.

Is he overweight? Reason for asking is that the solution might lie in the dining hall and not the gym.

thanks for these comments, he isnt overweight, in fact as skinny as a rake, but will defo use all advice given when i talk to him tonight! especially the eating and press ups! thanks lads

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
it could also be to do with what he's eating in the cook house, while there are many options, not all of them are the best options/combinations.

We had problems with some recruits eating too much, or too little as well as entirely the wrong foods rather than a balanced diet. I used to be underweight and had to have something with a bit of sugar in before doing phys to keep me going.
another problem can be sufficient hydration.

it may be that he needs more time to get to the required standard and gets back squadded. it's not a drama in the big scheme of things. If that happens then once he's got over the self inflicted 'shame' then he'd be fine.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
thanks for these comments, he isnt overweight, in fact as skinny as a rake, but will defo use all advice given when i talk to him tonight! especially the eating and press ups! thanks lads

I really wouldn't do extra - you need recovery time. Not much use trying to impress the PTI's with tired muscles. Also, if he's been told not to then the DS will take a dim view of him disregarding them. And trust me, they see everything.

@Ho2331 will be along presently with some professional advice, I expect.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Geordie, Drivers Lag is right - disregard my advice re press ups etc.

Zag42

Old-Salt
I struggled with fitness, once at Bn I sort of figured out how to achieve the standards but felt like I was pissing in the wind. I certainly wasn't over weight or under weight, I just couldn't do it. It must of looked like I wasn't putting in the effort when my peers didn't "appear" to be struggling as I did. When I look back I think my breathing technique was wrong etc.
May be worth him asking his NCO's/PTI's for some advice on techniques to help develop his fitness.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I struggled with fitness, once at Bn I sort of figured out how to achieve the standards but felt like I was pissing in the wind. I certainly wasn't over weight or under weight, I just couldn't do it. It must of looked like I wasn't putting in the effort when my peers didn't "appear" to be struggling as I did. When I look back I think my breathing technique was wrong etc.
May be worth him asking his NCO's/PTI's for some advice on techniques to help develop his fitness.

I remember there was only such things as 'doing it' and 'laziness'

Everyone can do it unless there's some specific reason such as injury - it just takes some people longer than others to develop. Genetics, age, diet all play parts.

FWIW, I think the army is a terrible place to start a personal fitness programme. The learning curve just isn't the same as a civvi equivalent. If you can go at your own pace at first and learn things - like your breathing, like the eating, like how often is best to train for you and set your own goals, then you'll enjoy seeing the progression you make.

The army's 'do everything full tilt or else' policy is horrible - unless it's changed in recent times.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just to reinforce the comments as an old bloke involved in recruit training many moons ago.

The only thing you can do is encourage him not to get down-hearted, to eat and sleep well and to try his best. The physical stuff is demanding and doing extra will lead to injury. Back-squadding to a later intake, if it comes to that, will feel like the end of the world, but it's standard practice to manage a recruit who needs a bit more time to develop. He may even end up doing remedial work with others and then being bolted on to an even later course.

The instructors are keen to get as many to pass as possible and as efficiently as possible without losing people to unnecessary injuries. All of this faces significant time and money pressure.

My son has just started his Phase 1 training and is in his second week. he has recieved a section commanders warning about his PT not being good enough, but has been told that he cannot partake in any extra training to get up to speed. I have talked to him about all you can do is give 100% and he seems to be coping with all other aspects such as drill, but could do with advice from those of you who have been there, I never did any military job! appreciate that a standard has to be achieved, but what else can i say to him to help him get over this hurdle - please be blunt, truth might hurt but its what i need to hear
I cannot really add anything useful that hasn't already been said. But it does seem strange that some sort of remedial PT has been ruled out this early. The only reason for this, that I can think of is that he wasn't fit enough to begin phase 1 in the first place - so maybe the Training Staff are hoping that he'll jump before he's pushed so to speak.
Remember that his DS have a duty of care to him, so they certainly ain't gonna let him do extra PT, if he's just ending up chin strapped. That's how injuries happen.
As has been stated, I'd say that the problem here more than likely could rest in the scoff that his eating. Is he eating/drinking enough? Is he overweight? Is he suffering from anxiety problems?

The only thing I can think of that might help a bit is eating - I'm not sure about now, but missed meals used to be a regular thing and most people lost a lot of weight in training. Try not to let it happen. Eat as much as possible to keep the old energy up.

There's a reason squaddies are often portrayed a struggling with table manners.

Tell him to keep his water levels up. Plenty of tea or squash at mealtimes, and a litre bottle of Lucozade from the NAAFI at night.

Stay off the piss. Plenty of time for that once he passes out.

Tell him to stay determined. Play loud, heavy-duty music thru headphones before PT to build aggression. That's what I did before some of the hardest tabs. OI! and hardcore Punk, thrashier metal, some ballsy classical stuff (Mars Bringer of War, not some poncey piano concerto).

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I he wasn't fit enough to begin phase 1

This is why that risk reduction run should come with a disclaimer. Basic is still going to represent a serious challenge if 14:30 or whatever it is is the best you've got and it's all you trained for.

OP - Fitness alone is a serious enough issue to backsquad on and there really is a chance that will happen. It does sound like he failed to prepare adequately and diet's just not going to help much if that's the case. But it's never held against a soldier if it happens. I came across a mate from training that it happened to recently and he's a sergeant major now. I don't think your unit even find out on any sort of official level because the important thing is that you made the grade eventually.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
Tell him to keep his water levels up. Plenty of tea or squash at mealtimes, and a litre bottle of Lucozade from the NAAFI at night.

Stay off the piss. Plenty of time for that once he passes out.

Tell him to stay determined. Play loud, heavy-duty music thru headphones before PT to build aggression. That's what I did before some of the hardest tabs. OI! and hardcore Punk, thrashier metal, some ballsy classical stuff (Mars Bringer of War, not some poncey piano concerto).

What basic was it you did where you had a chance to go on the piss?

TA basic.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
After passing off the square, you are allowed out of camp at weekends.

We were too. On a Saturday afternoon for about four hours in shirt and tie, with strict instructions not to drink.

I b'lieve we had a drink after a sports competition, once or twice on adventure training and at the mongbash.

Can't remember any other drinking being done.

Latest Threads