Dad died--pension question

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by dreamsofa, Sep 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

My Dad died two weeks ago, and my mother received a letter saying his pension would stop. Does that sound right?

My Dad retired in 1980 as a WOIIafter 22 years. All the web searching I've done seems to indicate that she would still receive some amount of his pension, but I could be completely misreading.

Does anyone know why she still wouldn't receive any of his pension? I'm planning on ringing the pension place tomorrow, but I'd be very grateful for any help/insight.

Thanks very much.

2. Condolences.
    SPVA should help you. Free Veterans Helpline 0800 169 22 77

3. Welcome to the site, Dreamsofa, and I offer my condolences on the death of your father.

That doesn't sound right. My understanding of the AFPS75 is that the widow is entitled to 50% of the pension.

Maybe it is the bureaucratic way of expressing it; yes, his pension has stopped but another department will write in 3 month's time to let you know that....

I hope you can sort it out!

Litotes

4. Thanks very much to both of you.

Litotes, that was my understanding, too, based on what I'd read, but the letter said that his estate was entitled to a final benefit of something like 200 pounds, the balance due from Ist September to the 12th (the date of his death).

5. No worries DS. Condolences again. Take care good luck to you and yours

Trem'

6. This happened to my mother earlier this year as well.
    Everything relating to my father ceased for months, and gradualy everything kicked back in with back payments. Even having my niece in the company administrating the pension paperwork didn't seem to help speed things up.
    One minute she was raiding her savings to pay the bills, the next she was splashing out on a giant TV and everything to keep things away from the taxman.