DAB Aerials - Help!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by OldSnowy, Mar 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I know this isn't a computer question but help me, Scaleys, you're my only hope...

We've been using a Pure DAB radio for a couple of years, in the kitchen, it works fine. Last couple of weeks Missus has been hinting (as they do) that she wants a CD player for the kitchen. Says I - let's get a combo CD/DAB (and I can have the old one for my shed).

Got a nice JVC one today, set it up in the same place - no DAB signal. Moved Aerial, same.

The Pure one had a telescopic rod-type aerial, whereas the JVC has a co-ax wire one. Is it just the aerial, or is the new machine buggered? I can't believe that a different aerial would make that much difference!

Advice, please!
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

a new telescopic aerial is only a fiver from Maplins (I've needed to pick one up for a while for mine).

worth trying for a fiver.
  3. Can you get a reception anywhere with the new machine?
  4. OldSnowy

No reception anywhere in the kitchen - and I've no intention of going outdoors, it's pouring down.

I am tempted to just go to a decent HiFi shop (as opposed to Argos) and have a look at them instead.
  5. Set up the original unit with the existing AE, so as to know you have correct allignment.

Then connect new unit to existing AE, if no signal, then the unit is goosed.

Unless the new unit specifies it needs a different type of AE.
  6. OldSnowy

Having done a bit of www research, it appears that the DAB thingy is not as clearcut as they make out... Wire aerials are crap, you need a 'real' metal one. Oh well, live and learn - I assumed that where a metal retractable worked, so would a wire. so, apparently, do lots of people, and they're all wrong. Assuming is generally a Bad Thing, I should have known better.

I'm taking it back to Mr Argos tomorrow, and go back to the portable. So much for the digital revolution :(
  7. My vertical/horizontal post was asking what plane is the transmission in, if the old set had a telescopic aerial set vertically and received perfectly, and the new set has a floppy aerial laying on the worktop aka horizontally and doesnt receive anything,then how about setting floppy aerial vertical?