Da Vinci Exhibition

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by jack-daniels, Nov 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

****. If you can make that exhibition you will be attending one of the greatest exhibitions of living memory. I am gutted that doing other things means we have to miss it.

The National Gallery is a shitty little venue for such an exhibition, not helped by the fact that they are only letting 180 people at a time in, so they can 'absorb the wonder'. *******. The British Museum or the V&A would have been a better venue. But there it is.

I dunno if they are allowing queues on the day, but if they are you will need to be there 2 hours before they open at 10.00am (the National Gallery staff like a lie-in it would seem. *******). We did that for the Banksy thing in Bristol a couple of years back and it aint as bad as it sounds. You crack on with people in the queue and go out for coffee and smoke fags and that.

If I were you I would just ******* blag it. Get your Doris to write in saying you are a much decorated war hero who has just had a major chest-clutch and you are not expected to live long. Say that when you were mortally wounded in (theater of choice) the only thing that kept you going was a vision of the Virgin of the Rocks which came to you in a dream. Tell them you always shop at Sainsbury and by a spooky coincidence, the exhibition is in the Sainsbury wing. And do the heartless ***** not care about our fallen heroes?

It's worth a shot.

2. Think you're stuffed jack daniels. Either queue on the day and be prepared to camp out. Only other option is if you know someone who has tickets but can't make the exhibition. The hype on this one is sending all art lovers into a frenzy. Tickets are like gold dust and no I haven't got any...

3. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I agree. There is something strange going on here. I can think of big exhibitions at the V&A and the British Museum where they have said "Yeah, OK. To meet demand we will open 2 hours early and close 2 hours late". They did that with Banksy in Bristol and with those Chinese warriors at the BM. But these ******* are opening at 10.00am. And 4 months for an exhibition of this significance? ******* *******.

Borrow a wheeler and bool up waving a union flag would be my move. Will they deny our Heroes a bit of culture on their return from the front? The Daily Mail would be on it like a fat kid on lesbians.

4. This exhibition has taken years to put together, most of the collection is so fragile that the National Gallery has probably cajoled the relevant private owners and museums into loaning their prized Da Vinci's to them. Four months is a reasonable time frame for an exhibition, even so the insurance must be astronomical and this will probably be the last time the Da Vinci's are all together. :frown:

Personally I think the National Gallery is missing a trick here by not opening longer hours, they could make a mint if the opening times were extended but I'm guessing the staffing costs would be prohibitive as the exhibition fills only a part of the main building.