D51 Deborah

Discussion in 'RAC' started by scarletto, Sep 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just returned from a 3 day of the Somme, with Kingshead adventures, an excellent holiday indeed. Part of it was though centered around CAMBRAI, researching where one of my old Regiments won a VC, during the battle.

So some of you will have stayed at this hotel beatus in Cambrai and know the owner, and also jerry, however i was given the chance of seeing the D51 Deborah tank at Flesquires, also the stand with the map and the tank tracks.

An excellent morning was spent there,and the D51 was amazing, will upload pictures if i can, but for any of the RTR who have not visited there,then you should. I think though possibly you will know of it. Very interesting morning though, and actually walking the battlefield was amazing.

Note to PE4, no jokes mentioned about the tank boys, too many brave men of all services died that day, hats off to em all

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

The tank & boot tracks at the main site were done by members of 2 RTR on return from warmer climes.

The opening ceremony took 3 hours on a very cold day

[​IMG]

someone has better piccies of Debs & the day somewhere - will try and find them.

3. The owner Phillippe said the day was ruined,and got very upset,seeing our flag and the South African one was flying upside down, he is now supplying the IWM with a variety of helmets for a display in London.

Got to say though a very good 'stand' a good view of the battlefield from that point, just hope that it gets visited the amount of times it deserves, cracking hotel too though.

4. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I think he is taking it a bit hard. It was a great day with some minor glitches which most failed to notice. I know that the very many who attended were grateful for the time and effort the people of the area put into the project. We are all looking forward to a repeat in 2017.

5. Attached Files:

6. Quite so mate, it's only banter after all. We're all part of the brotherhood.(1)

(1) Truce over. :wink:

7. Interesting, however it is D51, the damage to the rear, is consistent with the tank being towed/dragged to its new position, as a pillbox/shelter. The farmyard which itself bears witness to the fighting now has a small room containing many artifacts.

The actual barn when he has the money will be of two floors,the top one being a mezzanine, also at moment in the yard is a German 77mm gun and a American qms lorry, plus a ton of helmets and toffee apples.

Sadly and due to unscrupilous tour operaters and guides, the only way to see D51 is through phillipe (well only by staying at his excellent hotel or being in the RTR ) as tours/guides have been taking visitors and not contributing a penny to his work :x

Thankfully RTR guys go out to help maintain the tanks condition.

8. Here you are a bit more on our 'Deborah'!

[​IMG]