D-Type knife ?? Help please

Chatting with an old neighbour about kit back in his day and then mine & now when he tells me he still has an old knife.
I know of the D-type but thought it was only made by Wilkinson. This is not maker marked but seems to have the same blade profile (possibly slightly beefier) and similar handle and sheath. All in vgc. He offered to give it to me for nothing but i think i’ll sell it and give him the money.
Any experts here know more detail and a ballpark price ? All help much appreciated. Cheers
5DAA79FA-0C2D-4BB2-B928-88E2616F3BA8.jpeg
768C5101-B476-4CB8-A0E8-881FF45DDCFD.jpeg
FC622694-E939-4CAE-8DDE-D4533D024521.jpeg
7538DA1E-9303-4669-90C9-5AC99597EAAC.jpeg

Molesworth

Clanker
Survival knife carried in aircraft survival packs. Was certainly in use as recently as 1997. Although it looks the part it was neither fish nor fowl; too big to do butchering tasks, and too light to be any use as an axe. I never managed to get a really sharp edge on it either.

Survival knife carried in aircraft survival packs. Was certainly in use as recently as 1997. Although it looks the part it was neither fish nor fowl; too big to do butchering tasks, and too light to be any use as an axe. I never managed to get a really sharp edge on it either.
so flashy enough to wave around and raise morale on those wet and windy E&E exercises but useless enough for the pilots not to hurt themselves.

Sounds like a perfect design.

so flashy enough to wave around and raise morale on those wet and windy E&E exercises but useless enough for the pilots not to hurt themselves.

Sounds like a perfect design.
Still issued. I still have my issue version somewhere from 1995 - it’s good for cutting shelter, basic digging and amateur butchering. The back of the blade is quite wide and enough for nailing stuff up.

4(T)

LE
I've got one similar to that which is "definitely not a Wilkinson". The Wilkie ones were slightly slimmer, better finished. Grip panels on mine are a bit more sharp edged and defined than on the Wilkie version.

mrboo

War Hero
You can buy a new one for under £70 . So second hand value is not going to be much .You could stick it on ebay and claim ex SAS survival knife .Some people will buy anything with SAS in the description

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Survival knives Carried by aircrew, have the blade on the inside edge of the knife an dit’s slightly curved as i recall. Something to do with not putting a hole in the rubber dingy, with the sharp end?

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not that I have any experience of US forces kit, but remembering films involving US forces, that looks like a US forces issued knife. Standard issue to US Paras?

I remember a version in the 1980’s but the blade was much thicker with a definite angle to the edge and bigger, sharper wood scales that were bigger than the tang. Tore my soft hands to shreds first time. Taped over thereafter.
This one intrigued me (in as much as i care f-all for knives myself anyway..) because it’s better than the issue i got but not quite as refined as the Wilkinson version. Like a contract in between or an alternate maker to Wilkinson.
Ah well, i’ll give the old fella £50 and give him money he doesn’t have and have a clear conscience i didn’t unwittingly rip him off or overpay for it.
Cheers All

Last edited:

Slime

LE
From memory the D type is the RAF version of the Wilkinson Sword survival knife.

The D type is a well made item from memory. Early army issue Wilky knives were well made and durable items, but the latest models are a bit pants. They tend to just not be made to top standards and are prone to the finger guards coming loose.

There are knife makers who offer a service to put a far better grind on Wilky knives, this then leaves them as a far better tool.

Survival knives Carried by aircrew, have the blade on the inside edge of the knife an dit’s slightly curved as i recall. Something to do with not putting a hole in the rubber dingy, with the sharp end?
That would be the one stitched to the flying suit aka ‘dinghy knife’, earlier versions had a Bowie type blade, but this was replaced by the curved blade with the cutting edge inside. I believe as a result of aircrew puncturing their life jackets while trying to cut away shroud lines.

Not that I have any experience of US forces kit, but remembering films involving US forces, that looks like a US forces issued knife. Standard issue to US Paras?
The US aircrew survival knife looks like a midget K-Bar.

Endoscope

War Hero
From memory the D type is the RAF version of the Wilkinson Sword survival knife.

The D type is a well made item from memory. Early army issue Wilky knives were well made and durable items, but the latest models are a bit pants. They tend to just not be made to top standards and are prone to the finger guards coming loose.

There are knife makers who offer a service to put a far better grind on Wilky knives, this then leaves them as a far better tool.
If only Gav P had been involved

An old on of these perhaps ? the part No is good.

A.K.A. The tree slapper, Sometimes refered to as a Wilkie because these knives were once made by Wilkin sword. before being taken over by Shefield Knives,

On a historical note it's a 127 Ministery of Defence 3 survival Knife. This one was made in 1978 by Sheffield knife makers, J.R.Hopkinson Ltd, so I gues that makes it a Hopie It has 2 G10 over sized wooden scales painted black & held in place with 3 copper rivits with leather insets to absorb shock, they are over sized as to premote protection against frostbite when being used in freezing conditions and not as some may suggest to fasilitate shaping for a custom grip, these Knives are perfectly ballanced & cleverly designed for use in hand to hand combat, modifieng the grip would most certinly effect the harmony & handeling of the knife. The high carbon steel blade is stamped with # 127 - 8214 JR 1978 & the crows foot.

Molesworth

Clanker
No, the knife you are referring to was the one carried on the thigh of the flying suit in a metal sheath. The OPs one was in the dingy pack in the ejection seat.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs

Latest Threads