D rifles

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by pete2008, Jun 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,
    i'm new to this site and was wondering if any of you could help me. i'm interested in joining the TA as an infantryman, i have heard rumours about there being a TA infantry unit in Doncaster, but can find no official information about its location and contact details. so if anyone on here is either a member or knows of its whereabouts your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Pete

2. If you're prepared to travel you could always try 4 PARA at Pudsey.

www.4para.com

3. i can't really travel far, as im only 17 and have no car.

4. Apparently theres a Fusilier unit in Doncaster. There used to be a tool to find your nearest unit. but it appears to have gone with the onset of ONe Army recruiting.

5. Actually it is a Rifles Platoon within a fusilier battalion.

Y (Rifles) Platoon
    D (Rifles) Company 5 Royal Regiment of Fusiliers
    Danum Road
    Doncaster
    DN4 5HD
    Tel: 01302 322 776

6. thanks guys i'll give them a ring and arrange a visit.

p.s do they parade on a tuesday?

7. I think I am the man you need to speak to regarding Y Pl in Doncaster.

We do parade on a Tuesday but check your PMs...

Thank you GwaiLo for posting contact details, its not been easy getting those into the public domain.

AAR

8. Unfortunately, Y Platoon contact details are not yet listed on this site. We are not even mentioned on The Rifles website.

I wouldn't mind butThe top brass keep telling us that Yorkshire is the Main Effort of The Rifles.

9. Always_a_Rifleman,
    The Rifles website lacks all manner of information and the new army jobs one is hard to navigate if you are looking for a particular unit.

I have some empathy for the heirarchy, they have a lot to do. Nontheless I think they really need to appoint the Hon Col TA & Cadets urgently. He is supposed to be in the top three of the regimental structure and should be able to influence the priority of work.

I think, at the moment, your best hope of influencing things would be via the office in Pontefract. Both D Coy and Y Pln are supposed to have their own deputy Honorary Colonels. You also have The Colonel The Rifles North who can fight your corner. Of course all this is dependent on your own CoC making sure that your issues are passed on.

I assume that you are familiar with the structure? If not it is here http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/the_rifles/governance/regional_structure.htm

10. All of the personalities important to Y Pl and D Coy know me quite well, and I them. I also make full use of their influence when necessary. However, there are many things which they just do not have any control over.

I have managed to get our details on to the Army website, on to Yell.com and it will soon be on Google Maps. However, the Rifles website relies on the Bns themselves producing pages. This is a CoC issue, and they are aware of the problem. Unfortunately not being in a Rifles Bn, this becomes more conplicated. Even the Shropshire Coy website is still plastered with LI things.

Nonetheless, I will be meeting Hon Col Y Pl and Col Rifles North on Monday so will see what they say...

11. Always_a_Rifleman. I see you have a site here http://www.army.mod.uk/tynetees/c_dli_company/index.htm

I can't see why, if you speak to the right person, a link can't be provided to that from here http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regts/the_rifles/regiment_today/battalions_locations/index.htm

I suspect the person to start with will be the Rifles Lt Col at RHQ. Looking at the Regimental Action Plan he is supposed to indentify one individual to lead on website development...I'd guess that is the man you need. Hope that helps and aopologies of you knew that already. I can tell you who the Lt Col is in PM if that helps, although it is in the public domain.

Ah, politics!

Good luck anyway.

12. I appreciate your help.

However, I went through the necessary channels a few months ago and so have the telephone number of the SO2 responsible for The Rifles website.

I have asked my Bn HQ and my OC to update the 5RRF site as it still does not contain Y Pl's details, so there really isn't any point in linking the page yet. Plus, I'd rather build a D Coy page myself than have the 5RRF page representing us on The Rifles' site.

I know you are trying to help, but as I said in my last post, I'm aware of who the right people are.

From not existing in the outside world a few months ago, I am now (slowly) getting Y Pl on the map. That's why I was surprised (and pleased) that someone managed to post our address.

AAR