D-Day...

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by obesa_cantavit, Jun 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 63 years ago on the 6th (eve of the 5th) there would have been a few nerves as the chaps (and girls!) were setting of to push old Fritz out of occupied Europe...thousands boarding ships and waiting around at airfields for the go...shame that nowadays your average teenager doesn't know (or care) too much about that historic day...perhaps we should sit them all down and make them watch the movie classic 'The Longest Day' just to show them Hollywood style what the older generation did for them!

Here's to you chaps...thank you!

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

... or the first 20 minutes of Band of Brothers. Make them watch it the way Kubrick inflicted aversion therapy in A Clockwork Orange.

3. ...and equally the first 20 minutes of 'Saving Private Ryan'.

4. I was thinking of something similar this morning. Where I live is surrounded by disused WW2 Airfields, that were used for the Glider and Airborne Assaults during OVERLORD, MARKET GARDEN and VARSITY.

I shall be standing outside tomorrow evening thinking about what happened 63 years ago that evening.

5. ”63 years ago on the 6th (eve of the 5th) there would have been a few nerves as the chaps (and girls!) were setting of to push old Fritz out of occupied Europe...thousands boarding ships and waiting around at airfields for the go...shame that nowadays your average teenager doesn't know (or care) too much about that historic day...perhaps we should sit them all down and make them watch the movie classic 'The Longest Day' just to show them Hollywood style what the older generation did for them!

Here's to you chaps...thank you!”

I’m sorry, I’ll read that again. 8O

64 years ago on the 10th (eve of the 9th) there would have been a few nerves as the chaps (and girls!) were setting of to push old Fritz out of occupied Europe...thousands boarding ships and waiting around at airfields for the go...shame that nowadays your average teenager doesn't know (or care) too much about that historic day...perhaps we should sit them all down and make them read real history and take the time and trouble to seek out real Veterans instead of wasting time on Hollywood style bunk!

Here's to you chaps...thank you!

9/10 July 1943 – Allied invasion of Europe on the island of Sicily
    2/3 Sep 1943 - British and Canadians of the 8th Army under Monty invade mainland Europe at Reggio di Calabria.
    8/9 Sep 1943 – Allied landings at Taranto and Salerno – Salerno Beachhead not secured until the 14th, last sizeable German forces withdrew on the 18th.

No.9

6. Yes...thanks for that No.9, but I was thinking about what we generally refer to as 'D-Day', being the hugely significant in scale, the Normandy landings...I don't understand your cynicism to my post when I was just making reference to this historic event on 6th June 1944...

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Most would already have had a bad day on the 4th
    Given that the original date was supposed to be the 5th June for D - Day
    (Dare I say again on BoB) :wink:

8. Not particularly cynical about your post fat lady, after all you’re only siting one of WWII’s most popular thumbnails, maybe the most popular. No doubt you’ll be raising a glass to other such anniversaries like Coriano Ridge and Comacchio.

No.9

9. I shall be raising a large glass to those brave gents and ladie swho were part of the bigest Military Operation ever laid on. They went and did a job without a 20 Min phone card each week, the EFI, no email facilities and leave was non existent all they could look forward to was relief and a brief respite when they were relieved sent to Camps for a shower and rest. Most just saw it as a means to an end and something they had to do so they could get on with the rest of their lives when peace was finally found.

"Gentlemen, despite your excellent
    training, preparation and orders,
    do not be daunted if chaos reigns.
    It undoubtedly will"

Brig. James Hill
    3 Para
    4th June 1944

10. Would today's molly-coddled, Big Brother watching, alco-pop swilling generation have the gonads to do what those guys did?*

A couple of years ago there was a series on Discovery channel about VC winners. One of those featured was this man;

Maj David Jamieson VC CVO

Obit

I think he got blown off the tank he mounted to direct fire at one stage. The interviewer asked him if he thought of himself as brave and he replied, "no, I'm a nervous man".

* 2(?) VCs won in Iraq answer that question I suppose

11. I saw that one on Jamieson VC.

As always with these VC types he was unbelievably modest and I seem to remember he finishsed his interview with 'right i'm off for a drink' or something like that.

Quite a guy!

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Well done for spotting my deliberate mistake, Pike.

13. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

14. In 1938 the veterans of WW1 were probably saying the same sort of thing about the teenagers of the day who were to become the blokes who ntook part in D Day , Arnhem, Sicily, Torch etc. Until it happens it's difficult to foresee how people will act/react.

15. The press did express similar sentiments about the Teds in the 50’s, and the Mods, Rockers and Hippies of the 60’s – yet the quality of those sent to the Falklands’ in 82 was typically best of British.

Fair to note this was a volunteer force, and with mass conscription (as in WWI and II) some will find themselves in the front line who would serve better elsewhere. I think the small example of Bad Lads Army has shown what can be achieved with what we were told was the best of the worst – then that was done (more or less) 50’s style?

No.9