Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by error_unknown, Jun 6, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. D-Day: Lost, Captured, Killed & Missing
    Number of men landed on D-Day: 156,000.
    Americans: 73,000, of which 23,250 on Utah Beach, 43,250 on Omaha Beach, and 15,500 airborne troops.
    British, Canadian and other Allies: 83,115 (of which 61,715 were British).
    In all, 24,970 landed on Gold Beach, 21,400 on Juno Beach, 28,845 on Sword Beach, and 7,900 were airborne troops.

Air force

On D-Day, Allied aircraft flew 14,674 sorties, and 127 planes were lost.
    In the airborne landings on both flanks of the beaches, 2,395 aircraft and 867 gliders of the RAF and USAAF were used on D-Day

Operation Neptune, the naval transfer of troops and materiel, involved 6,939 vessels, comprising 1,213 naval combat ships, 4,126 landing ships and landing craft, 736 ancillary craft and 864 merchant vessels. Of 195,700 naval personnel assigned to Operation Neptune, 112,824 were British, 52,889 American and 4,988 from other Allied countries.

In April and May, Allied air forces lost nearly 12,000 men and more than 2,000 aircraft in operations which paved the way for D-Day.

Total Allied fatal casualties on D-Day, including naval and air forces, are estimated at 4,572: The US lost 2,500 dead, Britain 1,641, Canada 359, Norway 37, Free France 19, Australia 13, New Zealand two and Belgium one. German casualties on D-Day are estimated at between 4,000 and 9,000 men killed and wounded.

More than 209,000 Allied and 216,000 German troops were killed, wounded or went missing during the Battle of Normandy.

The Allies took 200,000 prisoners.

Remember them
  2. I have been watching the coverage on the box. Tried to watch ITV but it smacked of tabloid 'scoop' journalism. The best bit was when what’s his name who presented the reality show 'survivor' was asking an old boy whilst waiting for Betty and the lap dog, what he thought of the day, 'Fed up of waiting around, not happy........'.......moving on. :lol:

Turned over to proper, dignified coverage over at the BBC.

Is it just me or do the Frogs appear to be taking the 'lead' and giving the impression that the Brits, Yanks and all the other brave soles were mere also rans next to them 60 years ago? I thought the French were going in the opposite direction. It was nice however to see that they could 'march proudly' in front of all the other troops. A first in French military history.

Anyway, all in all a very proud day. Let’s hope the message of the sacrifice of those on June 6 1944 will never be forgotten. And let’s hope this Government doesn’t find it too disgusting to remember why they are in office this day. Something for them to think about when allowing grants to pointless people.
  3. Good to see how the old and the bold can burst a few egos.

Just seen on Australian Nine Network News
    Aussie Prime Minister John Howard greeting some British veterans says to one: ‘Glad to see you here today’ Old soldiers reply: ‘Glad to see you – don’t know who you are mind you’ :D :D
  4. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Bloody Brilliant - REAL men showing Howard the Coward how much they think of him.

:D :D :D :D
  5. In my rants about Fatty McConnell I mentioned Bill Millin. Bill Millin is rightly called a living legend.

Not mad, just very very brave. When a man like Bill Millin enters a room, Generals stand up. If they don't, they should.
  6. HEAR HEAR seadog.
    some of the tales being told over the weekend literally made the hairs stand up on my neck.
  7. FOR Hein Severloh the ‘Longest Day’ meant nine hours constantly machine-gunning American soldiers as they attempted to land on Omaha Beach.
    He had an unimpeded view of the oncoming Allied forces. He was the last German soldier firing, and may have accounted for about 3,000 American casualties, almost three-quarters of all the US losses at Omaha. The Americans came to know him as the Beast of Omaha.
  8. Nice work if you can get it :D
  9. just a soldier doing his job, and obviously did it very well.
    Had it been happening on our side of the channel and it had been LCpl Smith behind the machine gun he'd have been a VC winner.
  11. read the article, i also recall that the americans refused to use any of our "Funnies" DD tanks , Minesweeper tanks etc , it was such a stupid choice i wondered what went through the Officer's mind when he saw his men being killed without any protection or support :roll:

tit! i would have fragged the officer in question for recklessly risking men lives
  12. Semper wrote

From a letter in the Telegraph the other day.

13. The Americans did use DD tanks, they didn't want the other funny tanks (e.g. flame throwers etc).

The problem with Omaha is that they launched the tanks to far out and they all sank. On other beaches they were landed a lot closer to the shoreline and some of the them were landed directly onto the beach.

The other point not often mentioned about Ohama was it was attacked by a National Guards Division, I don't think they'd been in action before.
  14. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I remember my father telling me about a command task when he was a young RAF officer in the early fifties. The class were given the usual spiel about a ravine to be crossed by you (the officer), a SNCO and 30 men, with the aid of a couple of planks, some rope and 50-gallon drums. There was total silence for 15 minutes whilst the OCdts plotted and planned. Finally the instructor went round the room and many different theories were expounded. The instructor told them they were all wrong - the correct answer: ask the SNCO what to do.
  15. Id gladly give up nine hours of a day off to do that!!