D Day tanks found on seabed

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by vvaannmmaann, Aug 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Look to be in good enough nick to be worth recovering.
  2. Experts said they were amazed by how well preserved they are - one of the tanks still fully equipped with its 95mm Howitzer gun, machine guns and tracks intact.

Well, they're unlikely to have floated off.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Quick get a Recce mech down there and get them out...I'm sure a good VM and armourer can have them back online and out somewhere hot and dry in no time.

4. no but that polish lot near me that nick all the manhole covers would probably have had them away for scrap if they had known. Great find nonetheless.
  5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I'm sure MoD can have them on the front line in no time.
    Save Cyclops a fortune that!
  6. Lift them up, shift about in the silt for a couple of Crusaders, polish them up a bit, paint some bits blue and I reckon we can have those El Alamein warhorses out in the stan in a couple of weeks.
  7. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm sure we can make the cost of recovery and restoration come to at least the price of three new Challies, if we tried hard enough :)
  8. I remember seeing something on the TV a while back where a chap actually recovered a tank off the south coast and it is now on the sea front somewhere.
  9. So how would a ReccyMech recover those bad boys then?
  10. Were these really in North Africa prior to ending up in The Channel?
  11. doubt it.
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

What,Birmingham... :twisted:
  13. It was a Sherman. He raised the cash after a pretty exhausting letter/telephone exchange with the Pentagon regarding ownership.
    I understand it's on display. I think he's dead though.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Ptchoo ptchoo dead or heart attack?