D Day tanks found on seabed

#3
Experts said they were amazed by how well preserved they are - one of the tanks still fully equipped with its 95mm Howitzer gun, machine guns and tracks intact.

Well, they're unlikely to have floated off.
 
#4
Quick get a Recce mech down there and get them out...I'm sure a good VM and armourer can have them back online and out somewhere hot and dry in no time.

S_R
 
#5
Aloysius said:
Experts said they were amazed by how well preserved they are - one of the tanks still fully equipped with its 95mm Howitzer gun, machine guns and tracks intact.

Well, they're unlikely to have floated off.
no but that polish lot near me that nick all the manhole covers would probably have had them away for scrap if they had known. Great find nonetheless.
 
#7
Lift them up, shift about in the silt for a couple of Crusaders, polish them up a bit, paint some bits blue and I reckon we can have those El Alamein warhorses out in the stan in a couple of weeks.
 

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
#8
spike7451 said:
I'm sure MoD can have them on the front line in no time.
Save Cyclops a fortune that!
I'm sure we can make the cost of recovery and restoration come to at least the price of three new Challies, if we tried hard enough :)
 
#9
I remember seeing something on the TV a while back where a chap actually recovered a tank off the south coast and it is now on the sea front somewhere.
 
#10
So how would a ReccyMech recover those bad boys then?
 
#11
In-Limbo said:
Lift them up, shift about in the silt for a couple of Crusaders, polish them up a bit, paint some bits blue and I reckon we can have those El Alamein warhorses out in the stan in a couple of weeks.
Were these really in North Africa prior to ending up in The Channel?
 
#12
vvaannmmaann said:
In-Limbo said:
Lift them up, shift about in the silt for a couple of Crusaders, polish them up a bit, paint some bits blue and I reckon we can have those El Alamein warhorses out in the stan in a couple of weeks.
Were these really in North Africa prior to ending up in The Channel?
doubt it.
 
#13
vvaannmmaann said:
In-Limbo said:
Lift them up, shift about in the silt for a couple of Crusaders, polish them up a bit, paint some bits blue and I reckon we can have those El Alamein warhorses out in the stan in a couple of weeks.
Were these really in North Africa prior to ending up in The Channel?
What,Birmingham... :twisted:
 
#14
JoseyWales said:
I remember seeing something on the TV a while back where a chap actually recovered a tank off the south coast and it is now on the sea front somewhere.
It was a Sherman. He raised the cash after a pretty exhausting letter/telephone exchange with the Pentagon regarding ownership.
I understand it's on display. I think he's dead though.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#15
Ptchoo ptchoo dead or heart attack?
 
#17
ugly said:
Ptchoo ptchoo dead or heart attack?
The barrel rusted off while he was giving it a loving polish; it fell on him and gave him cancer. Which he eventually died of.
 
#20
I don't think anyone has yet found the AFV's that went down with a ship off the Coast of Libya when ze Germans were retreating... 4 or 5 of them, full of Gold with their hatches welded shut! I was helping a Company look into an assessment of the area prior to a mine clearance tender a few years ago when I was contacted by an RAF bod who used to snorkel with mates in various coves and reckoned just before they left that they had actually seen several AFV's hatches welded down still sitting on the top of a transporter! he was willing to come to Libya and try and find the cove if everything was paid for and his entry was cleared through the Libyan authorities...
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
FBW The Training Wing 0
Porridge_gun Aviation 8
PartTimePongo Current Affairs, News and Analysis 4

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top