D-Day re-enactment thingy BBC?!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BBear, Apr 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Can anyone remember the name of a programme on a few years ago based around conscription and D-Day? Sort of like a "Bad Lads" style format, but with a proper emphasis on turning the recruits into soldiers and ending up with a attack on the bosch? It was all modern day teaching too, so ORP and Bashas, rather than tins and getting wet...

I remember it had a Commando full screw as one of the section commanders....

2. Oh yeah! The one where they did training with all three services before putting in the final cross-channel attack?
  3. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I think so yeah
  4. I believe they still re-play it on UK Living every week :O I watched it about 2 weeks ago, cracking programme. :D
  5. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

But what's it called???
  6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Yes, that's right! Just managed to suss it out but you'd beaten me to it!

Now, to find somewhere where I can watch the damn thing...
  7. I saw this. While the WO's opening monologue about the state of the toilets was quite amusing the highpoint for me actually learning what a Damage Control party actually does to control damage during the Dark Blue section. I'd always wondered as you hear it talked about in films like "The Enemy Below" but never see anything other than fires being put out.

Essentially this boiled down going in to flooding compartments in order to jam various shapes and sizes of wooden wedge in the holes (through which the water which was flooding the compartment was coming) with the aim of keeping the ship afloat longe enough to able to put the fires out (possibly in the same compartment).
    The modern day training set up was quite impressive (a dummy section of ship on a simulator platform that could be flooded with smoke and water as well as contollable fires being ignited and fought). I wonder what the actual D-Day particpants had in the way of training?
  8. Hi guys. I was actually one of the 'recruits' on this programme and have copies of the series on DVD so if you have still not had any joy tracking it down give me a shout and I will try to get one copied for you.