D-Day on TV

This Saturday, 6th June, various is scheduled for TV with BBC4 doing several live broadcasts interspersed with some docus. All interesting, but perhaps particularly the one at 19:45 hrs which is presented by the late great Charles Wheeler RM, who was there in 44.

http://uk-tv-guide.com/list/BBC+4/6+June+2009/

As stated in another thread, I hope our Veterans attend THEIR relevant commemorations, and boycott whatever the Frogs/Septics are doing.

No.9

Anything on Sky for those of us without BBC or ITV? There should be a minutes silence @ 23:16hrs BST tonight, it would be a fitting time to remember all who fell and all who landed by parachute, glider or by landing craft and who went on to Liberate Europe... Glass is ready chilling in the freezer...

BBC1 are running ‘live’ commentary on Saturday between 16:20 and 18:00 hrs – which is what BBC4 are segmenting from 19:00 (plus docus), and, repeating on Monday 8th from 23:00 hrs – which can’t be bad.

Expect bulk will be Frogs/Septics at Arramanches 8O . Would be really nice if they did a sizeable segment on/in Ouistreham :wink: Actually there are a good many spots to centre on, every one with an amazing story. But, the usual chestnuts will no doubt emerge yet again, and again, and again, and again…………….

How about Salerno, Diego Suarez, the Arakan, Vlissingen/Westkapelle………….. :rofl: yeah sure :roll:

No.9

I've been watching it most of the day. Excellent!!

The auld fella talking about catching a chicken to boil up on D-Day - hilarious. Showing that even on D-Day he remembers a lighter moment.

The auld fella talking about going down the landing net and onwards.

Veteran Fred Wright giving an interview, with his son and grandson, was a joy to see.

Downside though was the politico's, only Obama seemed sincere.

The BBC Interviewer needs to mind his manners though. He should have asked FIRST, who he was interviewing AND shake their hand afterwards. Too busy trying to get soundbite IMHO.

The BBC were right though, in expressing the view that the real VIP's were those that were there on D-Day.

I am about to commit sacrilege, sorry but I am absolutely wetting myself;

Percy Lewis who just carried the "They shall not grow old" has a voice that is the absolute mimic of

Baldrick reading his poem "The Guns", especially with his eyes tight shut!

On a more serious note it must have been a total 'mare for the poor old guys trying to negotiate
the marble dais steps in all that rain!

Gremlin said:
I am about to commit sacrilege, sorry but I am absolutely wetting myself;

Percy Lewis who just carried the "They shall not grow old" has a voice that is the absolute mimic of

Baldrick reading his poem "The Guns", especially with his eyes tight shut!

On a more serious note it must have been a total 'mare for the poor old guys trying to negotiate
the marble dais steps in all that rain!
Percy Lewis had me grinning from ear to ear Gremlin. I'll meet you in hell and the first warm pint is on you for admitting it.

I was screeching with laughter I must admit, at the Army, RN, RM and Air cadets all being woefully out of step.

It was like the Brownies/Guides at Church service with itching powder in their socks.

Enigma266 said:
Did you just hear the Vets boo-ing Brown as he got up to speak??! Good effort lads!
I missed that earlier.

Just saw it!! Good drills those Vets. :D

Dannats speech was not bad, the French PM was good.

Brown's? How could he stand in public and spout such rubbish? The words were ok but there was no feeling, heart nor sincereity in his words.

He makes me ashamed to be a Jock.

EDITED TO ADD; No. I'm a Jock, he's a fkn Joke.

Enigma266 said:
I loved the fact that some of the Vets were also still partying at 1am in the square! I hope I am at 85
Aye and the lads that dinny have their dancing legs these days would still have been there in the chairs.

Squaddies eh? :D

They're the same in every generation.

Veteran Brian Bignell on BBC News asked why he had an ID badge with a photo of HM the Queen on it?

"She was the only head of state that went through the war and she should have been here".

Nice one.

Overall very good. Disappointed no one gave thanks to the musicians whom I thought were excellent. As usual these days, very sensible to have the Last Post/Reveille played on a Cornet rather than a bugle :thumright: , much more control and reliability.

Good to see Cadets rather than miscellaneous mobs of grinning disassociated schoolkids on a jolly.

BBC - ffs if you have Fiona Bruce do tell her to stop tarting on these occasions. One deploys a hint of a smile. Snow has all the poor traits of his old man, blusters about presenting like an excited spaniel, just like Peter did when reporting the Falkland's - Dimbleby would have been immeasurably better (but then he is of course, viz last Cenotaph).

French PM did very well, he can come again. The King was good, giving Sarkozy a right ear bashing. Froggie can count himself lucky his dad wasn't there :twisted:

No.9

ps. someone tell Obama not to salute out of uniform, bad form - someone give him a hat and tie at least :roll:

No.9 said:
very sensibl.e to have the Last Post/Reveille played on a Cornet rather than a bugle
Seconded.

Would've been good to see more Pipes n Drums IMHO. They lend a certain air that gets the heart swelling in yer chest.

Latest Threads