D-Day on TV

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by No.9, May 31, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This Saturday, 6th June, various is scheduled for TV with BBC4 doing several live broadcasts interspersed with some docus. All interesting, but perhaps particularly the one at 19:45 hrs which is presented by the late great Charles Wheeler RM, who was there in 44.

As stated in another thread, I hope our Veterans attend THEIR relevant commemorations, and boycott whatever the Frogs/Septics are doing.

2. If you can't get BBC4, get tomorrow's Daily Telegraph for a free copy of 'The True Glory' - the 1945 documentary about D-Day and the campaign in NW Europe.
  3. Anything on Sky for those of us without BBC or ITV? There should be a minutes silence @ 23:16hrs BST tonight, it would be a fitting time to remember all who fell and all who landed by parachute, glider or by landing craft and who went on to Liberate Europe... Glass is ready chilling in the freezer...
  4. BBC1 are running ‘live’ commentary on Saturday between 16:20 and 18:00 hrs – which is what BBC4 are segmenting from 19:00 (plus docus), and, repeating on Monday 8th from 23:00 hrs – which can’t be bad.

Expect bulk will be Frogs/Septics at Arramanches 8O . Would be really nice if they did a sizeable segment on/in Ouistreham :wink: Actually there are a good many spots to centre on, every one with an amazing story. But, the usual chestnuts will no doubt emerge yet again, and again, and again, and again…………….

How about Salerno, Diego Suarez, the Arakan, Vlissingen/Westkapelle………….. :rofl: yeah sure :roll:

5. Disappointed to find, on a quick hunt through the schedules, no screenings of 'The Longest Day'.
  6. Sky movies classics Saturday.
  7. The Veterans Return on BBC1 now (started 16:20)

And, when looking for a link about the above programme, I discovered this page, which gives a Dorset perspective on events:

:excited: :excited: :excited: :excited:
  8. I've been watching it most of the day. Excellent!!

The auld fella talking about catching a chicken to boil up on D-Day - hilarious. Showing that even on D-Day he remembers a lighter moment.

The auld fella talking about going down the landing net and onwards.

Veteran Fred Wright giving an interview, with his son and grandson, was a joy to see.

Downside though was the politico's, only Obama seemed sincere.

The BBC Interviewer needs to mind his manners though. He should have asked FIRST, who he was interviewing AND shake their hand afterwards. Too busy trying to get soundbite IMHO.

The BBC were right though, in expressing the view that the real VIP's were those that were there on D-Day.
  9. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

I am about to commit sacrilege, sorry but I am absolutely wetting myself;

Percy Lewis who just carried the "They shall not grow old" has a voice that is the absolute mimic of

Baldrick reading his poem "The Guns", especially with his eyes tight shut!

On a more serious note it must have been a total 'mare for the poor old guys trying to negotiate
    the marble dais steps in all that rain!
  10. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

And Broon saying Obama Beach, Cnut
  11. Percy Lewis had me grinning from ear to ear Gremlin. I'll meet you in hell and the first warm pint is on you for admitting it.

I was screeching with laughter I must admit, at the Army, RN, RM and Air cadets all being woefully out of step.

It was like the Brownies/Guides at Church service with itching powder in their socks.
  12. Did you just hear the Vets boo-ing Brown as he got up to speak??! Good effort lads!
  13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Cracking piece from "The Reverend".
  14. I missed that earlier.

Just saw it!! Good drills those Vets. :D

Dannats speech was not bad, the French PM was good.

Brown's? How could he stand in public and spout such rubbish? The words were ok but there was no feeling, heart nor sincereity in his words.

He makes me ashamed to be a Jock.

EDITED TO ADD; No. I'm a Jock, he's a fkn Joke.
  15. I loved the fact that some of the Vets were also still partying at 1am in the square! I hope I am at 85