D-Day Landings

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by g2_loony_bin, Sep 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone please point me in the direction of a good resource for info on the landings.

I'm talking about the build up in particular, plans of action once ashore, naval preparations/movements/bombardment, overall plans and a very good map of gold beach would go down a treat!

Many thanks.

2. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

There's a D-Day Museum in Portsmouth: try Googling for it.

3. If you have access to a good library the Official History "Victory on the West Vol1 " has this.

4. I'm sure there's a D Day museum on one of the beaches. Always mean to go when i'm across there but Mrs Stroker and the two little strokes arn't up for it.

5. You need to read The Struggle for Europe by Chester Wilmot. Written in the fifties as a companion (ie how it really happened) to Churchill's History of the Second World War but still acknowledged as the definitive work on the subject by people like John Keegan.

6. What about Kevin?

7. I'm reliably informed that he preferred footballs.

8. there is one at Aromanche

9. Max Hastings' 'Overlord'?

The museum at Caen was very good IIRC.

10. Testing...

[​IMG]

This is a pic of HMS Ajax off GOLD Beach in action, giving the Longueville -sur-Mer Battery a good stonking...

[​IMG]

And a pic of HMS Ajax from a book, in action as above.

11. It works! It works! stand by for incoming!

12. [​IMG]

Wiederstandnest 37 at le Hamel East, which was assaulted by A Coy, 1 HAMPS. The vehicles to the bottom rifght of the position are a couple of Churchill AVREs of 79 Armd Div, knocked out by the WN guns. An Aid Post was set up in the lee of the AVREs later in the day.

13. And the target for HMS Ajax?

[​IMG]

This is the Battery at Longueville-sur-Mer. The OP/CP is visible to the right of the photo, just behind the cliff. The 4 casemates are about 1/3 in from the left of the photo and a bit hard to make out!

14. [​IMG]

This is Wiederstandnest 36, just to the north of the hamlet of Les Roquettes. It was assaulted and taken by 1 DORSET. The AFV in front is a Duplex Drive Sherman, probably 4/7 DG.