D-Day Landings

Can someone please point me in the direction of a good resource for info on the landings.

I'm talking about the build up in particular, plans of action once ashore, naval preparations/movements/bombardment, overall plans and a very good map of gold beach would go down a treat!

Many thanks.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
g2_loony_bin said:
Can someone please point me in the direction of a good resource for info on the landings.

I'm talking about the build up in particular, plans of action once ashore, naval preparations/movements/bombardment, overall plans and a very good map of gold beach would go down a treat!

Many thanks.
There's a D-Day Museum in Portsmouth: try Googling for it.

I'm sure there's a D Day museum on one of the beaches. Always mean to go when i'm across there but Mrs Stroker and the two little strokes arn't up for it.

You need to read The Struggle for Europe by Chester Wilmot. Written in the fifties as a companion (ie how it really happened) to Churchill's History of the Second World War but still acknowledged as the definitive work on the subject by people like John Keegan.

stickybomb said:
You need to read The Struggle for Europe by Chester Wilmot. Written in the fifties as a companion (ie how it really happened) to Churchill's History of the Second World War but still acknowledged as the definitive work on the subject by people like John Keegan.
What about Kevin?

I'm reliably informed that he preferred footballs.

stroker said:
I'm sure there's a D Day museum on one of the beaches. Always mean to go when i'm across there but Mrs Stroker and the two little strokes arn't up for it.
there is one at Aromanche

Testing...

This is a pic of HMS Ajax off GOLD Beach in action, giving the Longueville -sur-Mer Battery a good stonking...

And a pic of HMS Ajax from a book, in action as above.

Wiederstandnest 37 at le Hamel East, which was assaulted by A Coy, 1 HAMPS. The vehicles to the bottom rifght of the position are a couple of Churchill AVREs of 79 Armd Div, knocked out by the WN guns. An Aid Post was set up in the lee of the AVREs later in the day.

And the target for HMS Ajax?

This is the Battery at Longueville-sur-Mer. The OP/CP is visible to the right of the photo, just behind the cliff. The 4 casemates are about 1/3 in from the left of the photo and a bit hard to make out!

This is Wiederstandnest 36, just to the north of the hamlet of Les Roquettes. It was assaulted and taken by 1 DORSET. The AFV in front is a Duplex Drive Sherman, probably 4/7 DG.

This is a very poignant image. The Duplex Drive Shermans are of the Notts (Sherwood Rangers) Yeomanry and have just entered Asnelles-sur-Mer. The lead tank, which can be seen in the top right of the image, was hit and knocked out by an a/tk gun seconds after this image was taken. Only one of the crew escaped...

These are DD Shermans of 4/7 DG moving up through Ver-sur-Mer. The truck-like vehicles are DKUWs, which were used to bring ashore the ammunition stocks for the Division.

GOLD BEACH - Inland from King by two ex RMAS tour guides. Takes you from the beech inland and shows you where CSM Stan Hollis won his VC. Also look at divisional histories, Patrick De La Force wrote a couple, they are more personnel, they don't do on and on about para's just concentrating on the ordinary tom.

LeBuzzer said:
GOLD BEACH - Inland from King by two ex RMAS tour guides. Takes you from the beech inland and shows you where CSM Stan Hollis won his VC. Also look at divisional histories, Patrick De La Force wrote a couple, they are more personnel, they don't do on and on about para's just concentrating on the ordinary tom.
I have the GOLD Beach Inland from King on my desk as I type, also the GOLD Beach- JIG by Tim Saunders. The whole series has been extremely useful in helping me to interpret and analyse the imagery. Highly recommended.

Talking of CSM Stan Hollis VC, this is the Mont Fleury Battery where he attacked the pillbox that was written up in the first part of his citation; the second part was the action at Crepon, where he stood exposed with his Bren and covered the withdrawal of his lads who were under fire from some Germans in the orchard.