D Day 75

D-Day veterans to be saluted in style

In one of the biggest mobilisations of the UK Armed Forces in recent years, the Ministry of Defence has announced details of plans to pay tribute to remaining D-Day veterans during the 75th anniversary of the Normandy Landings.

With less than 50 days to go plans are being finalised by the Royal Navy, Army and the RAF to offer ceremonial and logistical support to D-Day75. In total over 4000 personnel will be involved in the UK and France, along with at least 11 Royal Navy vessels, and multiple aircraft from the Red Arrows to the iconic Spitfire.

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said: “75 years ago troops from 14 Allied countries united together, many on the south coast of Britain, before launching the historic operation to liberate Occupied Europe. Britain must always keep the legacy of that special generation alive. I urge people to join our Armed Forces in showing that all of us, young and old, will never forget the price they paid for the freedom and peace we now enjoy.”

In the UK, on the 5 June, there will be a national commemorative event held on Southsea Common, Portsmouth, attended by D-Day veterans, VIPs and current serving personnel.

People are being encouraged to head to Portsmouth on the afternoon of 5 June where much of the invasion force sailed from. There they will witness a flypast of 26 RAF aircraft, and later in the evening have the chance to wave off up to 300 veterans, who are all over 90 years old, as they embark on their journey to Normandy onboard The Royal British Legion’s specially chartered ship.

Portsmouth City Council will host a series of D-Day events from the 5 to the 9 of June, on Southsea Common including a service of Remembrance, a screening of the commemorative events in Normandy, musical performances and the Portsmouth Revival Festival. Beyond Portsmouth, there are events across the country including a service of Remembrance at the National Memorial Arboretum and parachute and air assault displays at IWM Duxford.

Any veterans who would like to attend events in the UK or Normandy, who still haven’t come forward, are encouraged to contact The Royal British Legion.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Protest about what?

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm going to be cynical here and say there celebrations now seem to be more about generating good publicity rather that paying homage to those who fought and died on the beaches.

During the 70th Anniversary in Normandy, the Queen was sidelined/not invited, despite being one of the very few people actually serving at the time. And to my mind, far more deserving of centre stage than the 'statesmen' who hogged it.

Wordsmith

Referring to the recent Soldier F mass demos including turning their back on Parliament and general contempt that the Conservative Party have managed to provoke recently.
Ahhh.
I can't see that happening myself tbh.
D day stuff is entirely separate from the modern day powers that be, and is for Remembering what that generation achieved.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Any Veterans tempted by a high profile protest opportunity on what should be a very auspicious and significant anniversary?
I think you are missing the point of this event.

I think you are missing the point of this event.
I remember the 50th, it was massive,one of my units lads managed to jump in and the whole thing was a spectacular event.
I appreciate the dwindling number of D. Day veterans but agree with @Wordsmith - the 70th seemed awash with politicians grandstanding. I sincerely hope that the day is about the surviving veterans and current service personel.
I can't think of a worse collection of British and Euro politicians that will most likely be holding forth on democracy, sacrifice etc - or a worse backdrop than Brexit.

Referring to the recent Soldier F mass demos including turning their back on Parliament and general contempt that the Conservative Party have managed to provoke recently.
No. Just No. This is meant to be about the Veterans of D Day (and the events that paved the way for it) and those who were there and are no longer with us - my late Grandfather for one. Please do not spoil this with political protest.

We are better than that.

No. Just No. This is meant to be about the Veterans of D Day (and the events that paved the way for it) and those who were there and are no longer with us - my late Grandfather for one. Please do not spoil this with political protest.

We are better than that.
Wouldn't dream of it (I'm not the protesting sort).
My sentiments are the same as yours but I would go so far as to say that some of the politicians attending are the main spoiler.

In my part of the World:

Royal Marines amphibious trials base remembers D-Day

Royal Marines from 11 Amphibious Trials and Training Squadron, based at RM Instow, showed how the amphibious craft have advanced since landing on the Normandy beaches on June 6, 1944.

The north Devon base, an out station of 1 Assault Group Royal Marines (1AGRM), was built in late 1942 as a training and testing facility for troops preparing for the invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe.

Now, it is responsible for developing new equipment to meet the needs of the Royal Marines.

In a two-mile radius of Instow, there is easy access to sheltered and open water but also five of the seven beach types found on the planer - making it an excellent place to test and develop new kit.

Colonel Chris Haw, commanding officer of 1AGRM, said: "This based was used during World War Two to waterproof and trial tanks and vehicles that would go on to Normandy. It was a centre for innovation then and it continues that today.

"We trial the new equipment coming in and we teach people how to waterproof vehicles.

"Today was about showing what we do now at Instow but also remember the courage and determination show by our predecessors."

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
For those in the area, the event will also be marked by a commemoration at the Combined Operations Pilotage Parties (COPP) memorial on Hayling seafront. PoW who had a lot to do with the memorial has been pinched by the Normandy organisers so the Royal rep will be the D of Gloucester. Be there by 1040 if attending.

Latest Threads