D Day 69th Photos

Great pictures, good time was had by all I bet
It was the best one I've been to and we even had the sun come out. Unlike last year's torrential rain thanks to the French President turning up. Yesterday was brilliant, the RBL/NVA commemoration in Bayeux CWGC cemetery then the NVA one at Arromanches, with a Spitfire flying overhead doing a victory roll, then sitting beside a wonderful veteran at dinner who was celebrating his 88th birthday. There was a special cake with sparklers. He said in 1944 there were a lot more fireworks for his 19th birthday ... He was one of five brothers who saw active service and all of them came back.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm planning to go to next year's commemoration if I get the time off.

I'm planning to go to next year's commemoration if I get the time off.
As announced by the French yesterday, the main international event for the 70th will be at Sword Beach/Ouistreham. Hotels are taking bookings already ...

Once a Brylcreem Boy, always a Brylcreem Boy. Snappy 'Tache :p :p

6-6-13-D-DAY-ANNIV+(12).jpg

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
As announced by the French yesterday, the main international event for the 70th will be at Sword Beach/Ouistreham. Hotels are taking bookings already ...
Seen and looking into it already, cheers ^^

Superb photography.
You captured those old guys with just the right balance of " Hey, lets go over for this Remembrance - sounds like a good pissup to me" and the other moments when they wander off by themselves to visit the mates who did'n't come back.
I only found one photo incongruous.
57. WTF is that all about ? Please tell me you slipped it in to provoke a typically crude,puerile and natural Arrse response.
Please don't tell me that is you.
Fair Maid of Perth you are a mature, yet sylph-like, vivacious Scottish vixen with a penchant for button-up high heels.
Not a dung-ball in 1944 Battle Dress.
Tell me it's not you in the middle or another nice fantasy goes awol.

Who is the bloke with the white beret, or rather what was the regiment of the white beret?

edit:Ah ok, Russian/Arctic convoy, google is your friend...sometimes
Some very poignant pics there

Great photos, thanks for posting.

I know one of the old boys - George Lines - lovely chap. I had an email from one of his daughters a few days back:

"Daddy gone to Normandy this morning for D Day stuff. He’s taken a 4 wheel walker this time in an attempt to avoid falling off pavements after drinking too many freebies provided by grateful locals. Last year he bounced off his nose and ended up at the hospital."

Wonderful!

George Lines.jpg

Nice to see that the 70th commemoration will be at Sword after the scummy attempts by 6 of the local Tourist Offices to delete any reference to those beaches.

http://www.change.org/petitions/suppression-du-secteur-mythique-des-plages-du-débarquement

And now

[h=5]Suppression du "Secteur mythique des plages du débarquement"[/h]21 hours ago

Victoire ! Cette fois, je peux le dire sans crainte, le projet de "Secteur mythique" ne verra pas le jour. Suite à nos appels répétés, relayés par la presse française et internationale, et au succès de la pétition, les six offices de tourisme ont définitivement abandonné leur projet. Au total, la pétition a obtenu 3 714 signatures en l'espace de seulement deux mois.

Cette polémique, qui a été largement entraînée par le site DDay-Overlord, a été relayée jusqu'aux plus hautes autorités de l'Etat français. En conséquence, une décision importante a été prise quelques jours seulement avant le 69ème anniversaire du Jour-J et a été rendue officielle le 6 juin 2013 par le ministre délégué aux Anciens combattants, Kader Arif : c'est à Sword Beach que se déroulera la cérémonie internationale du 70ème anniversaire du débarquement de Normandie !

C'est ainsi, et de la plus belle des manières, que se termine cette campagne pour la préservation de l'espace historique de Normandie. Cette bataille étant gagnée, il nous faut rester attentifs pour que d'autres projets de ce genre ne soient pas relancés à l'avenir. Les offices de tourisme et tous ceux qui envisagent de développer ce genre d'idées sont prévenus ! Nous ne laisseront rien passer.

Je vous remercie tous pour votre engagement à mes côtés et pour l'excellente conclusion de cette campagne.Victory! This time, I can say without fear, the project of "Mythical sector" will not see the day. Following our repeated appeals, relayed by the French and international press, and the success of the petition, six tourist offices have permanently abandoned their project. In total, the petition received 3,714 signatures within only two months.

This controversy, which was largely driven by the site DDay-Overlord, was relayed to the highest authorities of the French State. Accordingly, an important decision was taken just days before the 69th anniversary of D-day and was made official on June 6, 2013 by the Minister delegate for veterans, Kader Arif: it's Sword Beach will take place the international ceremony of the 70th anniversary of the Normandy landings!

It is so, and the most beautiful ways, that ends this campaign for the preservation of the historic area of Normandy. This battle is won, we remain attentive so that other projects of this kind are not revived in the future. Tourist offices and all those who are planning to develop this kind of ideas are warned! We won't let anything go.

I thank you all for your commitment to my side and for the excellent conclusion of this campaign. (Translated by Bing)

This may help if you're looking for campsites. There's quite a few along the Sword Beach area

Normandy Camp Sites and Caravan Sites

Also, for Motorhomes Aires - i-Camping car - Le site d'informations sur les aires de services pour camping cars.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
MERVILLE PLAGE
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #FFF1DD"]
14 - CALVADOS - Basse Normandie
6 km O de Cabourg
Sortie du village, au sud
Longitude: -0.20989 Latitude: 49.28467 [degrés décimaux]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
OUISTREHAM
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
15 km NE de Caen
Boulevard maritime - Après embarcadère Ferry
Longitude: -0.24964 Latitude: 49.28717 [degrés décimaux]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
SALLENELLES
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
9 km O de Cabourg
D514 - Parking derrière salle des Fêtes
Longitude: -0.22719 Latitude: 49.26485 [degrés décimaux]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD]
COLLEVILLE MONTGOMERY
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
12 km N de Caen
A côté du stade
Longitude: -0.29917 Latitude: 49.27111 [degrés décimaux]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

There are also the Municipal Campings: One at Arromanches and another at Ouistreham.

Guys, these are not my pics. Mine are crap compared to these professional ones. Photographer is Matt Cardy for Getty Images.

As for the fat lass pic, well the locals are so hospitable, it would be rude not to avail oneself of all the cider, cream and Calvados. Note to self, diet starts tomorrow ;-)