D-Day 2045

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Jun 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given the Centenary will be in 35 years time,will today's "yoofs" still be visiting the beaches and cemetaries?
  2. Thats down to us, to impress the importance of doing so on them...

Plus the centenary will be 2044, not 2045...
  3. Few of todays yoof will still be alive then, after pill popping and grass smoking themselves into an early grave
  4. I certainly will be!
  5. Few of todays yoof will still be alive then, after pill popping and grass smoking themselves into an early grave
  6. Why would they?

Its like people in the early 20th Century celebrating some miltary victory from the 19th which they didnt understand or experience.

The people in this country who understand the impact of WW2 and the impact of D Day are fast dwindling out. When History as a subject is not taught in schools to the correct level, or is watered down and teaches kids non military aspects of the past, the past is soon forgotten.
  7. Few of todays yoof will still be alive then, after pill popping and grass smoking themselves into an early grave.
  8. What, like Trafalgar Day you mean? Its down to US, the adults of this generation to make sure they care, if they don't know anything about it, our fault!
  9. So true. The only military history I recieved was a few months looking at Britain in WW1, even that was mostly about the politics, and one piece of coursework on Evacuation in WW2. At the end of my A-Levels all we had done was spend 4 years studying Hitler and 1930s German politics! For some reason our sylabi only allowed us to study up to 1938, and we were marked down if we mentioned past this date in any exams!! No wonder people either don't know anything/much about our military past, or have been put off trying to find out about it.
  10. I'll be there and I'll make damn sure Croque Jr will be up on his military history (aided by practical use of period firearms naturally :-D).
  11. Don't get my hopes up.
  12. Sorry,sums were never my strong point.
  13. Both my daughter 20 and 18 are fairly up on history stuff (endless trips listening to me), but eldest's boyfriend doesnt even know history of West/East Germany and fall of Berlin wall. All this came out as he was "playing" one of those Medal of Honour games and he asked who the Huns/Fritz was. Off to Framce in August and have promised him a look at Sword Juno etc. He was playing this game and didn't even know the history behind it. Good grief...
  14. Mmm ok. How many people pay tribute to Trafalgar Day? I have, once when I was in Norwich and was invited to a private club which celebrated the event.

I hear what you say, but education moves forward (which I dont agree with) and the subject changes. History now is more associated with identity, and identity seems to be closely linked with who you are and where your from, not what we had to do to get here if you know what I mean.
  15. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I am pleased to report that one of my grandson's teachers has been circulating parents with an appeal for WW2 memories. I have anted up twelve pages of reminsicence (including an older boy telling me to lie flat if I heard a doodle bug engine cut out), also pics of my wartime id disc and have offered a couple of books and the gun shown in my avatar for display.

If you are anywhere near the IWM, or its satellites like HMS Belfast or Duxford, they do a cheap kiddy pack containing replica ration book, id card and Beano.

On the down side, our recent carpet-bagging council chief exec knocked down the wall which had SWS still painted on it from the Blitz. But we've still got gouges in some kerbstones caused by tank tracks in 1944. I rescued these from some road menders not long ago and had them reinstalled instead of thrown away.

Incidentally this is why entitled people should always claim and keep their medals - it's not so much about them decorating your blazer but about (great) grandchildren finding them later and wondering what that was all about.