CZP question

blue_sophist said:
copper_knobblet said:
At 25m when zeroing the SA80 where should the CZP be in relation to the POA?

With ironsights
Dunno, only ever done optical. Have you considered asking your local training staff? Just a thought.
People I have asked don't know. Or rather one of them does know probably, but the rest don't - I just don't know which one is right.

25M
Rifle CZP Susat 22mm below
Iron 25mm below

LSW CZP Susat 20mm below
Iron 25mm below

100M
Rifle CZP Susat 90mm above
Iron 100mm above

LSW CZP Susat 80mm above
Iron 100mm above

Sight setting is always 200m Ironsights
300m SUSAT

Any questions PM me.

call_me_jack said:
25M
Rifle CZP Susat 22mm below
Iron 25mm below

LSW CZP Susat 20mm below
Iron 25mm below

100M
Rifle CZP Susat 90mm above
Iron 100mm above

LSW CZP Susat 80mm above
Iron 100mm above

Sight setting is always 200m Ironsights
300m SUSAT

Any questions PM me.
Brilliant thanks very much indeed.

blue_sophist said:
Nice one, Jack. Now, can you [or anyone] hit anything [apart from the same country] with iron sights?
Interesting question Blue, how much difference is there in the average soldier's performance on the range if he's using the susat contra iron sights?

From experience I'd say not an awful lot, give an Infanteer an Iron site and put him against a Corps Soldier and shoot Live Fire 4 the group sizes will be about the same. Repeat the practice with SUSAT and group sizes will still remain roughly the same, although a few Mil smaller.

Tartan_Terrier said:
blue_sophist said:
Nice one, Jack. Now, can you [or anyone] hit anything [apart from the same country] with iron sights?
Interesting question Blue, how much difference is there in the average soldier's performance on the range if he's using the susat contra iron sights?
Mine went from absolutely pitiful to a <30mm grouping with ten rounds from 100m just by adding a small telescope to the top of my rifle.

I have no idea why having a SUSAT would make my grouping better, but it did, never been that good again before or since.

doublecrease said:
I know a few guys who actually shoot better with an iron sight.
Would their names be Cletus and Billy-Bob by any chance?

doublecrease said:
I know a few guys who actually shoot better with an iron sight.
I tend to be a better shot with an iron sight, mainly because a SUSAT makes me a little bit lazy and I don't maintain my position as well.

Then again, I am a slovenly git.

When you say better shot, what do you mean, I can hit the 300mm fig 11 with iron sights every time*, surely thats good enough?

*Unless its Hythe in the bloody sideways rain

WhiteHorse said:
When you say better shot, what do you mean, I can hit the 300mm fig 11 with iron sights every time*, surely thats good enough?

*Unless its Hythe in the bloody sideways rain
I mean sort of collectively better. Position and hold are better. Groupings are slightly improved and, yes, at 300 metres the little talebanistani gets his just desserts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I could be a 'better' shot still with a SUSAT if I paid attention, but, like I said, I get lazy and sort of expect the shot to fall where I want it to simply because I have a SUSAT.

Something I need to get over, evidently.

Alsacien

LE
eSeL said:
blue_sophist said:
call_me_jack said:
I aim to please...
...no? OK I'll get my coat...
Spent 6 months training with the QGS team in 88/89. Finished 104th at Bisley with an SLR, everybody in front of me had SA80 with SUSAT IIRC - except a QGS siggy somewhere in the 100, and a QGS Sgt who finished in the top 5 - practice.......

Must of put a 20,000 rounds down the range that year though learning...

blue_sophist said:
call_me_jack said:
I aim to please...
...no? OK I'll get my coat...
The problem isn't hitting the target; I can group to the size of a 5p coin at 50m with my target rifle. The problem is acquiring the target.

Iron sights are mandated in most target shooting competitions - although the target is conveniently a black circle on a white background, so you can see it clearly from 1000yds away.

Much like Alsacien, I started out my gravelbellying with the SLR, training for TASAM. The only time I made the TA50 out of several attempts was in 1989, with an SLR (being a UOTC, we'd assumed it unlikely that anyone would make it in, so we didn't spend much time practising the Queen Mary; and only practised the Roberts twice). Having had a blinder of a day, I went in to the TA50 in the middle. Did the first practise of the Queen Mary (500yds; two sighters and ten to count, against a Fig.12 on a four-foot screen) sharing a point with a bloke using SA80. Just like a target rifle shoot, so I managed 48/50, he did worse.....

....so the big leader board goes up for the match, with 2Lt Gravelbelly in =1st place after Practise 1.....

....of course, sitting at 200yds wasn't something we'd actually practised, I couldn't hit a cow in the arrse with a banjo, and finished 30-somethingth or so.

Mildly amusing was the fact that having finished TACC three weeks before Bisley, I went from being a B class shot eligible to win the OCdt trophy, to being an A class shot eligible for rock-all. Mind you, at least someone from our team picked it up.