Czech Troops In Afghanistan Seen As Cowards - Report

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by petergriffen, Apr 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

someone mentioned on here before. that there were problems with some Czech SF fellas. :?
  2. The Czech SF that were in Helmand when i was there were ****ing lunatics, and definately loved getting stuck in with the Taleban.

One of our bloke who had been injured and apparently left behind whilst attached to another unit, was apparently rescued by Czech SF rocking up on their Quads.
  3. The Czechs I met and worked with in Theatre last year seemed very professional and committed to the task. I didn't see them out in combat but it seems to me that this article is a crock of s!te.

Only my opinion of course but probably more valid than the authors.
  4. It is indeed very dangerous. The commader is not a coward at all. He is wise. His goal is to return home all his boys and not in coffins.

As for the rebels then it is internal business of Afghan government to fight with them.

If he has right to decide what orders he should obey and what ones not then let it be this way. No doubt the commander is a professional.

Mrs.Pakranova is free to fight herself in Afghanistan. By the way Soviet leader didn't force Czechs, Poles, Hungarians and other participants of Warsaw Pact to fight in Afghanistan in 80's.
  5. His goal is to return home all his boys and not in coffins AND achive the goals set by him by the Czech government. If he made a judgment that conflicted with that of the British commander that was based on a genuine difference of opinion or differing ROE then fine. If he's making up Czech foreign policy on the spot he needs to go.
  6. Dow Jones News report or the word of two posters here who have worked with the Czech's out in Afghanistan?
    I'll take the word of Herrumph and Crowbag, in turn I'll take the report with a pinch of salt.
  7. We don't know anything about the goals. What if they are to imitate activity, to simulate active participation in the operation in Afganistan?

It is possible. If not then Czech government could order the commander unconditionally obey all oerders issued by the British. Apparently the commanders hasn't recived such instruction.

What is importance of Afghanistan for Czech republic? About zero. So the commander taking it into account as a professional makes the best decisions possible.

I'm sure that he is not a policy maker. Moreover I suspect that the rection of the Minister of Defense is false.
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

What are you blabbering about. :? That is just complete b0llocks.
  9. I worked with the Czechs on Telic and they were gleaming. We had a Czech sniper attached to us on one Op and he was very switched on. I would work with the Czechs any day of the week. This to me just sounds like a need to clarify ROE/mission for that specific task.
  10. Far from it. Moreover not only the Czeches but also our German friends think and act in the same direction. Complete withdrawal from Afghanistan would be politically incorrect. So they try to bound their activity making it in fact symbolic.
  11. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

You never were Army, were you Sergey?

If you were, you must have been a. a conscript and b. crap. Certainly no G3 wallah......
  12. Thank you dear friend for your post. As for
    a. it is not right.
    b. it is your personal point of view that I respect.

G3... On Russian soil it means General Staff GRU Spetsnaz. No... So I was not G3 wallah. My uncle is a retired colonel of GRU.
  13. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

So you were neither and therefore should have no opinion on what a commander does on the ground as you have no practical oe valid experience to make comment from.

As to your uncle, so what? He isn't you and you have none of his experience either.
  14. Well then, please. express your learned opinion.

So we has a fact: the Czech commander avoids dangerous engagements. I have proposed 2 reasons for it.

1. The commander wishes to return to his motherland with all his boys alive and safe. I suggest that for him it is a paramount.

2. Czech government tries to participate in the operation in Afghanistan rather symbolically and to avoid any protests connected to unwanted loses in the country.

Both these points are based merely on a common sense and knowedge of 'how politicians speak and act' (they are 2 separate matters).

As for absurd claims that Czech Troops as 'cowards' then I disagree with the statement completely.

Dear In_the_cheapseats, I welcome personal remarks toward my modest person further. However, it would be very kind of you, fair sir, to propose your explanation, your vision.
  15. The bottom line is that there is only one CZE SOF unit officially recognized by CZE Armed Forces and it is the 601 SFG (see official website below.

The SOG is identified as a SOF unit in the article but in fact the SOG is only an MP unit which has a very mixed reputation among Czech soldiers.