Czech court clears Lisbon Treaty

Czech court clears Lisbon Treaty
Breaking News

The Czech constitutional court has ruled that the Lisbon Treaty is in line with the constitution, clearing the way for President Vaclav Klaus to sign it.

The Czech Republic is the only EU member yet to ratify the treaty, and the decision removes one of the last hurdles for its passage.

The Eurosceptic Mr Klaus, who was awaiting the court's decision, has said he will not further oppose the treaty.

The reform treaty is seen as crucial to making the EU work more efficiently.

If Mr Klaus signs, that would pave the way for the treaty to come into effect throughout the EU on 1 December.

The Czech president has been seen as the last major obstacle to the passage of the treaty, but he has recently appeared satisfied with a promised opt-out from the EU's Charter of Fundamental Rights.

Mr Klaus has said the opt-out was essential to prevent Czech courts being circumvented, mentioning the prospect of ethnic Germans - 2.5 million of whom were expelled from Czechoslovakia after World War II - trying to win back their property.
BBC page

Quick somebody play the Imperial march from Star wars.......

Not good.

How can we possibly be launched into Europe without ever being asked for our vote on the matter?

Mr_Bridger said:
Not good.

How can we possibly be launched into Europe without ever being asked for our vote on the matter?
In the final analysis we are an island race and at some point we'll stand alone again. Maybe it's just the folks I hang out with but everyone seems heartily sick of it.

EX_STAB said:
Mr_Bridger said:
Not good.

In the final analysis we are an island race and at some point we'll stand alone again. Maybe it's just the folks I hang out with but everyone seems heartily sick of it.
The sooner the better. Can we start by bombing Brussels?

BPS666 said:
shape.when.wet said:
Has anyone here actually read the treaty??
Yes - what's your point?
Lots of people terribly worried but I'm guessing most of the Nation haven't.

Including me. I'm too busy preparing for the long-range shelling of Lyon for all that reading business...

shape.when.wet said:
Has anyone here actually read the treaty??

Many of the PM's who signed it haven't even bothered to read it.

Has Finland ratified the Treaty? I ask because there is the small matter of the small Island of Stone (I think it's called) which hasn't been consulted by the Finnish Government, in defiance of their Constitution and which has the right of Veto over the Finnish Parliament. Not that I think the rest of the EU (or the Finnish Parliament) will give a toss about that !

A poster above mentions the 'importance' and 'relevance' of borders in Europe - big countries (France and Germany) and little countries (Belgium, Denmark).

Let us not forget the country, the country that 'voted' us into the European Federated States, that we share a border with - Ireland. Let us not forget Ireland.

the main problem i think is the self amending clause (article 48) in it.
It quotes

Article 48 of the Lisbon Treaty gives the EU powers to amend its own treaties, without recourse to an intergovernmental conference or a new Treaty.

so they can change it whenever they feel like it, without the need for a referendum, not that we had one anyway

hydracobra said:
so they can change it whenever they feel like it, without the need for a referendum, not that we had one anyway
Not that it would have mattered, as we'd have just been kept voting until we came up with an acceptable response...

Badgertastic said:
hydracobra said:
Not that it would have mattered, as we'd have just been kept voting until we came up with an acceptable response...
TRUE BUT AT LEAST WE WOULD HAVE VOTED

Mr_Bridger said:
Not good.

Come on Lad we have been in Europe for many years and equally it is our lected governments right to enter into agreements with other nations without a referendum or election so there.

On the other hand like may both here and in the rest of Europe I feal as if I have been railroaded into this one. We do really need Cameron to do a Maggie in the Council of Ministers as soon as he is elected to bring the EU under a much more democratic control.