Cyprus.The forgotten soldiers.

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by vvaannmmaann, Apr 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I served out there in 1991/2 with the UN RR - it was amazing how many of the lads (myself included) never even knew about this until we got chatting with some locals in a bar next to the Ledra Palace (Manhattan's if memory serves).

Sad indeed that there is still no real memorial to the lads that died out there due to terrorism. Christ, one of our 'Feet in in-tray' tasks out there was to do up a Macedonian Partisan war grave cemetary not far from Bravo 18 (opposite the Turkish position on Egg Hill), yet as per normal we do not honor our own dead.

2. My dad was out there at this time (1955 - 1958), he was OC the Field Security Section and was instrumental in the deportation of Makarios for terrorist activities.

I was there as a child in hirings around the island, we had to move every 6 months or so for security reasons, I don't remember a great deal, but remember bits.

The memorial is well overdue.

3. Funny how thing appear as well.

My Uncle was in Malta during the "hard" times in Cyprus but was posted to Cyprus just after.

he often stated that people in the UK had no idea what was going on and how many died.

He also used to say that Malta was a shite hole and Cyprus was a great post as there were no tourists then :?

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Lawrence Durrell's book 'Bitter Lemons' has some interesting background into how the terrorism got started.

Quite a few British and Commonwealth graves in Greece from when we tried to save Greece in 1941 (we also helped to save Greece from Communism after the war was over). Clearly all we get for it is small-minded bigotry.

5. I beleive there is still one British Officer "MIA" - a major I think. The name escapes me but I seem to recall he was a colourful and courageous character on the Int side whose body has never been found? Anyone recall his name (or the story for that matter)?

6. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

My old regiment served out there, in 1958, I believe they relieved a Scottish regimen. And again in 1962-64. When 4 months after their return they were shipped off again for over a year to Far East.

There is a quite old film, 'The High Bright Sun', starring Dirk Bogarde which is about the only film to mention the EOKA troubles and Cyprus.

7. In the film 'The League of Gentleman' the character played by Bryan Forbes, IIRC, was cashiered for shooting EOKA suspects.

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I knew there was something about him that I liked.

9. Possibly the last time that we operated with not too much attention to Marquis of Queensbury rules. I cannot even remember the colour of any RoE card we had!
    Nearly everything that was done involved us vs. Greeks. Occasional involvement with Turks but they were very strong against the Greek side. I suppose the worst effort (that ever came to light) was when a unit was taking a crowd of Greek demonstrators into the country to cool them down. Long walk hone gave them time to think. On this occasion, they dropped the Greeks off in a Turkish village. Come the morning, the fields bore a strange fruit as KKK used to say.
    I can understand any local resistance to memorials. As ye sow, so shall ye reap

10. I was at RAF Troodos late 80's and just outside Troodos village (just beyond where you turn up towards Mt Olympus) there is another small British Military graveyard containing service personnel and their families from the 1800's. I believe the majority of the personnel there were members of engineering regiments who constructed the original road up the mountain.

11. We served at a similar time OldRedCap, me slightly after you.
    Some wise words there, as we sowed so shall we reap.
    I never served in Cyprus but of course I knew many blokes that did.

I personally think that the National Service blokes did a magnificent job.
    It is a shame that they are largely forgotten. But as Shakespeare said' t'was ever thus'.